Prayers of the Week

Monday 29 January

Today is the start of Catholic Education Week 2018 during which we celebrate the faith dimension of our school. The purpose of Catholic Education Week is to highlight the significance of education, not only for young people but for society as a whole.  Students, parents, teachers and others are asked to reflect on their own roles in the education process – at home, in school, in the local parish and in other educational settings.

Father,

Thank you for all those men and women who have given their talents to educating our young people. Through the challenges they encounter each day, lead them to an ever deeper appreciation of the sacred duty to which you have called them.

We give thanks for the invaluable work of all those who contribute to the efficient running of our schools support staff, kitchen staff, maintenance staff and chaplains. We thank them for their hard work and dedication and we pray that they may continue to work in support of our schools.

Amen

Tuesday 30 January

The word “compassion” means to “suffer with” someone, with the sense of coming to the person’s aid. It is an emotion in us caused by some evil or dire condition seen in someone else. The Good Samaritan is a memorable example. Jesus himself suffered for our sins.  We remember him in our actions and our thoughts.

Lord, open our eyes

That we may see you in our brothers and sisters. Lord, open our ears that we may hear the cries of the hungry, the cold, the frightened, the oppressed.        Lord, open our hearts

that we may love each other as you love us. Renew in us your spirit.  Lord, free us and make us one.

Amen

Wednesday 31 January

A Prayer Attributed to St. Francis

Lord, make us instruments of your peace. Where there is hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is discord, union; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where there is sadness, joy. Grant that we may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

Amen.

Thursday 01 February

Generosity inspires gratitude, and gratitude inspires generosity. God is generous to us and our generosity, as St. Paul tells us, gives proof of our gratitude towards God.

Lord Jesus, teach me to be generous; 
teach me to serve you as you deserve,
to give and not to count the cost,
to fight and not to heed the wounds,
to toil and not to seek for rest,
to labor and not to seek reward,
except that of knowing that I do your will.

Amen. 

Friday 02 February

Dear God,

Loving Essence of all there is. Please fill me with your sacred presence.

I ask for your Love and Guidance and for your blessings

As I explore the deep reaches of my heart I ask for your assistance

In releasing that which stands in the way of true love.

My heart is pure; my intentions clear. Please bring to me my most perfect partner.

I seek a partner who enhances me by his/her very being.

who brings more love, joy, peace and prosperity to my life,

Who I can love fully and who can fully receive my love,

Who loves, honours and cherishes me completely, and always.

May my heart be open and my head be clear.

May my life be ready to welcome True love.

May I be embraced in a circle of your love

And uplifted by your grace.

Amen