Homily from Deacon Joseph McGill

Vocations Sunday

This Sunday is Vocations Sunday, and also it was the planned date for my Diaconate Ordination in Rome (had we not experienced the huge changes to life caused by the current pandemic). Joyfully, Bishop Keenan decided to ordain me in private on Divine Mercy Sunday, so even in strange circumstances, with so few of my guests present, I was able to say, “yes” to the Lords plan for my life. “Yes” to His call to me.

In today’s Gospel we hear Jesus use the analogy of the Good Shepherd. A different translation of the Gospel of John says: “the sheep hear his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes ahead of them, and the sheep follow him because they know his voice.”

This calling his own sheep by name reminds us that God has a specific plan for each of us. It might remind us of the words of the Prophet Isaiah, Do not be afraid, for I have redeemed you, I have called you by your name, you are mine.This specific plan is what we call our vocation: our calling from God.

In the scriptures, a name has special significance, it is not simply what you are called, but who and what you are. This means that the Good Shepherd, when he calls us by name, knows intimately who we are: Sons and Daughters of God. He knows this and he calls us to follow him in the way that we are to go.

At the ordination, my name was called out, and I responded: “present”. I have now begun this journey of following the Good Shepherd, but the ordination was not the end. Now, it is now my daily task to follow Him as a Deacon. When we give ourselves to the Lord, it is not a one-off event, rather it is a daily work of following the path that he has laid out for us. When we read the words, He goes ahead of us, in today’s Gospel; it should console us in these difficult times! Just because we cannot be physically present at mass, or receive Him in Holy Communion, does not mean that he is not with us. Our last reception of the Eucharist does not have an expiry date. He is still with us; the Good Shepherd does not abandon his flock.

Most of you reading this have already chosen to follow the Good Shepherd in the vocation to Married life, but you all still have the daily task of saying yes to Him, in loving your husband or wife and your children. But there may be some people reading this who have not yet discerned what way of life the Lord is calling them to. As this is a special Sunday to promote vocations to priesthood and religious life, I would like to take this opportunity to encourage you all to open yourselves to the possibility of a Vocation to the priesthood or religious life. The Good Shepherd is still calling! The Church needs you! From my own experience, I can say that there is a great joy and an overwhelming peace in following the Shepherd in this way. With all the anxiety in this world, particularly at this time: look to Him for peace. The Good Shepherd takes care of his sheep: he will not abandon us!

Deacon Joseph McGill

Share this Post