SCEN China Youth Summit

Below is the feedback fom the pupils who atteded the SCEN China Youth Summit:

Ronan Doherty S5
I thought that the SCEN conference was a great success, both in terms of the school’s performance and the general running of events. I felt that the presentation given by our pupils and Mrs. Zhou was very well received by honourable guests and pupils alike. I do not only speak for myself when I say that the conference was a thoroughly interesting and enjoyable experience. I also managed to catch up with some friends I met in my recent trip to Tianjin and Beijing, which was fantastic. I would like to thank the school for giving me this further insight into the rapid and exciting development of Chinese language learning in Scotland.
Daniel Kavanagh S5
The SCEN Confernece was a fantastic opportunity to develop into the brilliant work carried out by the corporation on a daily basis. It was great to connect with children from Hong Kong, and discuss the experiences of my fellow mandarin students. When I had to give a talk in my adopted tongue, I felt confident and nobody seemed to notice my slip-up.
Maeve MacLeod S5
The SCEN Conference was a great experience. I really enjoyed the time we spent in Gleneagles. We were given the opportunity to listen to many interesting presentations; not only from students from around Scotland but also from business owners, university lecturers and MSP’s, who gave us advice about the uses of Mandarin in our professional lifes which will come into use in the future. We also had the chance to present our own achievements. The day, was also a good opportunity to get to know peopple our own age from different schools and also those in different years from our school.
Howie Liu S4
I thoroughly enjoyed the SCEN conference and I learned a lot from this experience. It has expanded my knowledge of the links between Scotland and China and made me more interested to learn more about it. I participated in a speech in the conference which made me very proud to stand up in front of a big audience and deliver a speech which I have never done before. I was also able to meet new people on the trip and socialise with them. Overall I found this trip very enjoyable and fun.
Jenny Cuffe S6
I really enjoyed the whole experience of the SCEN conference and it was very intriguing to hear people speak in Mandarin. There were several different powerpoints and there was also various music performances which I loved listening to and some were very interesting and inspiring. I also thought that the food we received was delicious and I had a great time in Gleneagles, meeting and socialising with other people my age from different schools.
Declan Gallagher S4
I found the SCEN conference extremly interesting and useful for further expanding my knowledge of the connections between Scotland and China through all of the great presentations. Through the varied performances it has also further devolped my knowledge of the country as well as showing a lot a exciting ways to get involved in events such as the Wilson Trail. Most importantly it emphasised how important it is for both countries to work together in things like the Hong Kong connection to further maintain and strengthen the bonds of the two countries that is already proving beneficial.
Alban Joseph S4
I learned a lot from the SCEN conference, it made me aware of many great opportunities, such as the Wilson Trail. It was interesting to listen to people speak about their time in China and I now have a greater understanding of the connection between China and Scotland. The hospitality and food was fantastic, and I hope we are able to partake in events like this again. It was inspiring to listen to children my age talk about their fantastic experiences and this was the main connection I felt, it was truly engaging.
Lucia Doyle S1
The SCEN conference was an amazing experience and it was fantastic to hear that there are many opportunities to study Mandarin. It was interesting to hear how people learn Mandarin. It was good to socialise with the children from the other high schools and academies. I enjoyed thoroughly this event and it makes me want to learn and improve my Mandarin more and more.
Louisa Preston S4
The SCEN conference was very useful in showing us the wide range of opportunities available due to the studying of mandarin and the importance of learning another language. It was very interesting to hear about other peoples experiences while studying mandarin and I am now much more aware of the great link between Chhina and Schotland. It was great to hear so many stories from people my own age, and to see how many people are becoming involved in SCEN. The presentations were fantastic, as was the hospitality we were given during the course of the trip. It was a fantastic event which made me even more determined to take the learning of mandarin further.