OLM Newsletter 13th June 2016

Dear Parents

The days are passing very quickly as we approach the end of term and the session. The month of June is always an extremely busy month.

The summer fete was ever again a tremendous success thanks to the hard work of dedicated members of the PSA, some Parent Council members and additional volunteers. The total sum of £3369 was raised and will be used to support the wider life of the school including the development of the grassed area between our two buildings, adjacent to the Link corridor. The P1-P6 discos organised by the PSA were also well attended and highly successful, raising a further £1059.

Primary 7 enjoyed their ‘Day at the Movies’ and are now preparing for their Leavers’ Mass this evening and Leavers’ Ceilidh on Monday 20th June.  We wish them well as they journey forward toward high school life.  They have been a marvellous year group who have thrown themselves whole heartedly into the life and work of our school making massive contributions in sport, music, enterprise, charitable works, mentoring and buddying   –  generally just being fantastic individuals.

Chaplaincy

Thank you to Fr Hill, Fr Burke and Fr Duggan for supporting the pastoral and spiritual needs of both staff and pupils not only during sacramental preparations nut during the year on such occasion as First Fridays, class and Stage Masses, retreats during Advent and Lent. They have been companions on our faith journey.

Matthew Carney Memorial Tournament

A very big thank you to Paul MacConnell and the football coaches who have given freely of their time over the last seven years ensuring that many many boys and girls have enjoyed regular coaching sessions and match play. The fruits of their labour were evident during the 12th annual Matthew Carney memorial Tournament over at Muirend on Sunday.  OLM United won the tournament, Monica Forsyth won player of the tournament and Mark Campbell was nominated to receive the Matthew Carney Trophy.  Well done everyone.

Final Note on my Retirement

As I said in the letter announcing my intention to retire, it has been a pleasure and a privilege to serve you the families and children of Our Lady of the Missions Primary School. Having the support and dedication of so many people not least the staff of our magnificent school has energised and inspired me to lead with absolute conviction to Gospel values, always with the best interests of the children at heart.

Graduating from Notre Dame College in 1979 I began my teaching career in St Francis Port Glasgow, moving to St Michael’s Port Glasgow the following year. I continued my studies at the Open University and Stirling University and was appointed to my first headship at the age of 30, moving from a primary seven class on a Friday afternoon in September 1988 and taking up post as head teacher of St Fergus Primary in Ferguslie Park Paisley on the Monday morning.  I stayed there for almost 10 years and then moved back to St Michael’s Port Glasgow as head teacher to the staff that I had worked alongside earlier in my career.

After a little over four years I had the tremendous honour of being selected to become the fourth head teacher to lead Our Lady of the Missions since it was opened in 1958 by the Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions over in Holmwood House. I took the helm form Mrs Philomena Strachan and have never looked back.  Celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the school and an exceptional HMIe Report and also our school choir taking part in the proceedings at Bellahouston Park during the visit of Pope Benedict have been a few of the highlights of which there have been countless.

Mrs McGrotty will continue in August as Acting Head Teacher until the position is advertised, leeted and appointed. I have no doubt in the interim you will offer her every support and encouragement as the school moves forward.

I would like to wish her well along with Mrs Devlin DHT, Mrs Cochrane and Mrs Cumming who will be acting Deputes and the entire staff team who do a fantastic job on behalf of your children giving them the highest standard of education in its very widest sense.

A final thank you to everyone that I have had the pleasure of meeting in my capacity as head teacher. The post has given me rich rewards not least the smiling faces of over 900 children beaming up at me each day – nothing can compare.  My sincere thanks and very best wishes for the future to everyone associated with our very ‘elegant’ school  one of the jewels in the crown of Education here in East Renfrewshire and also indeed here in Scotland……..God Bless.

Charlie