Categories
Planets

Week 2 – Home Learning Challenges

Hi Planets Class! I hope you are all doing OK, I’m missing you all lots. Here are this week’s home learning challenges. You can do as many or as little as you wish, they are just some ideas. * Literacy * Watch the animated story below of “While We Can’t Hug” This week, can you … Continue reading Week 2 – Home Learning Challenges

Hi Planets Class! I hope you are all doing OK, I’m missing you all lots.

Here are this week’s home learning challenges. You can do as many or as little as you wish, they are just some ideas.

• Literacy *
    Watch the animated story below of “While We Can’t Hug”

This week, can you try out all of the greetings on people around you?
Here is a list of what you are trying to do:
Wave
Make a funny face
Write a letter
Do a little dance
Blow a kiss
Sing a song
Draw/paint/colour a picture

• Numeracy *
    Below is a list of things you can be doing at home to keep developing numeracy skills during lockdown.
  1. Go for a nature walk and collect leaves, sticks, pebbles and other natural items. Your child can sort them into groups based on size, colour, shape or what they do.
  2. Sing songs and read books that have numbers in them that repeat, rhyme and have rhythm. This will help your child understand patterns.
  3. Play simple board games, card games and puzzles with shapes and numbers, like ‘snap’, or matching pairs or dominoes.
  4. Play outside games like ‘I spy’, hopscotch, skittles and ‘What’s the time Mr Wolf’.
  5. Play or sing music at different speeds. Your child can dance, jump or shake musical instruments to slow or fast songs. Sing nursery rhymes slowly and then speed up.
  6. Race toy cars and talk about which came first, second or third.
  7. Help your child to arrange her favourite toys in order from shortest to tallest.
  8. Involve your child in cooking. Your child can help stir, pour, fill and mix. This helps your child become familiar with concepts like counting, measuring, adding and estimating.
  • Health and Wellbeing *
    I’m sure you will agree that the weather hasn’t been ideal for getting out and about for local walks. So I thought I would show some move and groove alternatives for rainy days at home.

We have tried most of these in class already and they all last between 5 and 10minutes.

Winter Wonderland Cosmic Yoga

Joe Wicks – The Froggy Coach

Zumba Kids Dance

Kids Home Workout

• Science *
    Does it sink or float? Play a fun game

What you’ll need: A bowl of water, toys and items that you don’t mind getting wet, a towel

What to do:
1. Fill a bowl with water.
2. Ask your little one to guess whether they think an object will sink or float.
3. Encourage them to drop the object into the water and see what happens.
4. Sort the items into 2 groups: Floating items and sinking items.