Halloween Fun

We wrote a scary story on Thursday with inspiration from a haunted house photograph. The children’s writing is really coming on. Their use of vocabulary is becoming really interesting. I enjoyed reading their stories.

We also worked on some Halloween acrostic poems.

Tess: "We tried to write a story about a scary house. My story was about 4 kids who went inside the haunted house. They went in and the floor was broken. He saw a bright light coming from upstairs so he went up and he saw a mad scientist trying to make a potion. The braved boy saved the day by getting rid of the potion. I liked writing and planning my story."

We completed our Shape block and will be moving onto Information Handling. We also did some additional and subtraction revision with some Halloween mosaics.

Lewis: "We started a new maths book for assessments. I wrote down everything I knew about shape. Shapes can tile."

Halloween

The children all looked brilliant in their costumes and had a fantastic afternoon across based 2 with lots of Halloween activities.

Katie: "Halloween is fun, we wrote poems, we worked on odd and even numbers and we are having lots of fun this afternoon!"

Festival of Sukkot

DyP3A have been learning about the Jewish festival of Sukkot over the past few weeks.

This week we made our own versions of a Sukkah hut.

The children worked in groups to plan, source materials and build their own Sukkah’s.

Have a look at the pictures to see our journey of making them.

Noah: "We worked in a group to make a Sukkah. We went outside to find things to make it. I found grass and leaves. It was really really hard but we managed."
Dylan: "I worked with Lauren, Katie and Neil. We built a Sukkah. We worked in a team. We used paper straws, leaves, sticks, paper and playdoh to make it. I enjoyed it. I liked working as a team to build it."

11th October

It was lovely to meet most of our parents at parent’s evening on Wednesday. We are so proud of how far the children have come in their first block in P3.

This week with writing we were working on using a comma in a list. Our story was about a giant troll. The children also got to self assess their work using our VCOP Superheroes.

Liam K: "I like writing stories because I like using my imagination to come up with amazing ideas!"
Alyia: "We had to be detectives when looking for words in our stories. We underlined them different colours. Yellow was for Professor Punctuation!"

Emily - "It is fun to learn about shapes. We have been learning about tiling. We are going to find our own shapes to tile. Triangles and Diamonds tile but circles don't!"
Oscar - "It was fun this week to learn about partitioning. When you add the thousands, hundreds, tens and units it gets your brain working. It's good when you add them all together! Easy Peasy!"

Health and Wellbeing

Liam M - "At P.E this week, we were doing running. We worked on stations. One we had to balance on the bench and another one we played some games like tig. There were lots more too!"
Jamie R - "We were learning about SHANARRI. It stands for Safe, Healthy, Achieving, Nurtured, Active, Respected, Responsible and Included. We were talking about each one and how and when we felt this way!"

Other Curricular Areas

Riley - "We are learning about Sukkot, a celebration for Jewish people. They celebrate by building little houses."

We hope everyone has a lovely October break and look forward to seeing the children again on Tuesday 22nd October.

Mr Hay

4th October

Another busy week in P3A

Harris – “We were writing a new story this week, about a cottage in the forest. We used our planning to help us write and dictionaries to help us spell. Mrs Cowie was helping us too!”

Bobby – “We are very knowledgeable at our maths work. We are working on shape with Mr Hay and the 2 times table with Mrs Baird!”

Zoe – “This week we done a lot of shape. I was tiling. I cut out a shape and made copies to see if it would tile. My shape did tile!”

Emma – “We have been learning lots about place value. We work really hard to try and get to the right answer.”

Health and Wellbeing

Neil – “We have been playing games in P.E. The teams have been drawing.”

Other Curricular Areas

Michelle – “We finished off our Synagogues. They are similar to our churches.”

Holly – “We were learning about the sun, earth and moon. We answered lots of questions.”

Lauren- “I’m so excited to make a wand on Monday!”

Mrs Baird and I look forward to meeting you all at parents night next Wednesday.