Our Weekly News – Friday 13th March

Our Weekly News – Friday 13th March

Each week we will endeavour to share something from each class but this may not always be the case. 
.
.
Primary 1
This week we have been learning how to tell the time by using small clocks and the laptops.
We were also talking about the days of the week, the months of the year and the four seasons.
In art, we painted crocuses in preparation for them coming out in spring.
“I liked using the small clocks and turning the hands.” Aria
“I like using the computer programme to learn about time.” – Aiden M
.
.
Primary 2
Mrs Judge from Kirkcudbright Tennis Club came into school to give P2 two ‘taster sessions’ of tennis coaching. The boys and girls developed their racket and ball skills.

Kirkcudbright Tennis Club have junior sessions in the Kirkcudbright academy games hall on Saturday mornings!
5-8 year olds = 10am – 10.45am
8+ years = 10.45am – 11.45am
£4 per child
Contact Lily on 07885834458 or email lily_judge@hotmail.com

“I enjoyed hitting the ball over the net.” Eilidh
“I learned to not hit the ball hard.” Brody
“I liked hitting the ball to each other and counting.” Demi
.
.
Primary 2/3
Steph and Amy came to teach us Zumba. We exercised by dancing to cool music. It was really fun and kept us fit.
Maisy said, “It was so much fun!”
Lucy said, “I thought it was brilliant!”
Darci said, “I loved it!”
.
.
Primary 3/4
We put up our dog fouling posters around Kirkcudbright. Let us know if you spot any around the town.
We have been learning how to calculate the area of a shape using squares, cubes and multiplication.
Cael, Reagan and Jack went along to a choir competition and came second. “I was glad that KBT got the top 2 spots.”
Kirsten said, “I enjoyed putting Ava’s and my poster up. It’s near the swimming pool.”
Bailey said, “We started out new topic, Vikings!”
.
.
Primary 4
We’ve gone back to self-guided language logs this week, where pupils decide which activity to do each day. This encourages independent learning and it’s worked really well this week!
Maths work has focused on decimals, including placing them on a number line and subtracting them in chimney sums.
Kayla said, “I’ve enjoyed getting ready for our tin whistle concert!”
Abbi said, “I feel I’ve got better at using decimals!”
Thursday evening is the Rotary concert at the Cochrane Hall – we’re expecting to be brilliant!
.
.
Primary 5
This week we were learning about money using ICT.
We did more work on our topic of the Celts.
In PE we were doing lots of fun teamwork games. We worked really well in teams.
Gary said, “Creating a Celtic shop then researching a Celtic recipe was really interesting.”
“Team games was good fun. I liked working with everyone.” Molly
Lily said, “I really enjoyed using ICT in maths.”
.
.
Primary 5/6
We have been learning all about the life of Pablo Picasso and his unique style of painting. We have given our own portraits a go.
We have been learning how to persuade an audience through our choice of language. We have made hand washing posters with these skills.
“It was interesting to paint in this style compared to normal.” Niamh
“It’s good to encourage everyone to keep clean, especially in school.” Matthew
.
.
Primary 6
After our visit to Wallets Mart last Friday, we were given a weaving starter pack to have a go at. We have tried to weave different patterns and enjoyed learning a new skill.
PC Brown visited us to talk about the dangers of alcohol and illegal drugs. We learned lots of new information, were shown what drugs look like and got to try on beer goggles!
As part of our class novel, ‘The Nowhere Emporium’, we created our own wondrous rooms. In the book, behind each door are rooms of wonder and imagination. We developed our skills using metaphors, similes and descriptive language, so to help bring our rooms to life.
We have continued to receive replies to our Famous Scots letters. This week, we got a reply from Chris Hoy who even gave us a like on our Twitter page!
Ciara said, “I learned how to wave a coaster and that it is easier than it looks.”
Jessica said, “I learned about how drugs can affect your body in many different ways.”
Asha said, “I learned how to work with the formula: Distance = Speed x Time, in maths set.”
Reminder: Homework projects are due to be handed in on Monday.
.
.
Primary 7
P.C. Brown visited to talk to us about substance abuse.
We wrote letters to local businesses asking for sponsorship towards our willow sculpture and we delivered the letters.
Every week we listen to the original version of a song on Monday and cover versions every other day. We talk about similarities and differences. This week’s song is ‘Take a Chance On Me’ by Abba.
Tal said, “We got to see what different types of drugs looked like so we can be aware.”
Olivia said, “I wrote to Galloway vets to ask about sponsors for our V.E. Day willow sculpture.”
Lily said, “My favourite version of ‘Take a Chance On Me’ was by the cast of Mamma Mia. Miss G. preferred the version by Erasure.”
Reminders: Bring your outdoor P.E kit for rugby on Wednesday, for the next three weeks.
Lots of Socks day on Thursday. Please send donations of baking for the bake sale.
Sleepover next Thursday.
Trip to Aviation museum on Friday.