Our Weekly News – 29th November 2019

Primary 1

We had great fun playing games in the afternoons. Tom’s mum came in to class to help with our learning. We played 4 games and these are some pictures of what we were playing.

Aiden McC said, “I love snakes and ladders because it’s my favourite game.”

Ross said, “I like playing all the games.”

Tom said, “I like playing 4 games in an hour.”

Reminders for next week  –  We are making tree decorations.

Primary 2

This week we have been learning to write a story and we discussed the features of writing a story: who? when? where? what happened?

We used different media to create and plan the story setting (where).

Finally, we annotated naming and describing words.

Billy said, “We drew and painted to make a magical forest.”

“We wrote what things were called,” said Chris,

Mabel C said, “We labelled feeling words and looking words!”

Demi said, “We described it!”

Reminders for next week  –  Please send in cardboard and other packaging, which is shaped like a cube, cuboid, cylinder or a cone. This will help P2 learn about 3D shapes.

Primary 2/3

This week we have been learning about changing the pitch of a sound using four jars. The sounds were high pitch and low pitch. We had loads of fun!

Also, we have been building ten more and ten less than a number within one hundred using blocks/cubes. We enjoyed this activity and it helped us with our writing work.

We labelled items in Alphabetical order from A – Z and it was a good activity because it was active.

“I thought this was great fun!” – Noah

“I didn’t know we could do this.” – Emily

Primary 3/4
This week we have been finding out what rights are for children looking at posters. We also had fun joining in with the activity.
We have also been learning about how to work with money in maths.
In science, we learned about the water cycle and how it works.
In Art we have been doing penguin posters because it is getting much colder.
Ava: “I would like to do the penguin poster in art again, it was really fun.”
Bailey: “The money on the computer were very hard… the money games.”
Xena: “I would like to do the shop again, it was really fun.”
Reminders for next week – We will be delivering your letters to Santa.

Primary 4

We have been mixing art and maths using new measuring skills (angles and length) to make a variety of 2D and 3D crafts.

We’re focusing on direct speech in language. We have been looking out for it in the books we read and trying to use it in our own writing.

“We’ve been measuring length, breadth and height to make iron men!” –  Sunny

“I’m enjoying learning the tin whistle.” – Maya

Primary 5

This week we took a school trip to the Cocco Bean Chocolate factory. We learned how chocolate is made and had fun mixing the chocolate and decorating with sweets.

With the topic theme of ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’ by Roald Dahl, we decorated stones with pictures from the book. Some of them had characters from the book and others had pictures of the amazing chocolate factory! After we finished decorating our stones, we went outside and hid them in the playground.

Jessica said, “The Cocoa Bean was really fun.”

Noah said, “The Cocoa Bean was good fun.”

Lucas said, “I enjoyed decorating the stones.”

Primary 5/6

This week we have been learning about homophones, specifically, “their, there and they’re”. We have also been learning how to write persuasively. We have now completed our letters to Mr Stevens, trying to persuade him to allow us to have either a class pet, no more homework, or no uniform.

Aiden – “We were writing a letter to Mr Stevens about getting a class pet or no homework.”

Elle – “We were learning about homophones and they were “their, there and they’re. They were quite fun but confusing.”

Primary 6

This week we have learning how to write a play. The subject of them was:  A Victorian Classroom. We enjoyed writing them and you never know, maybe one day we’ll perform in the West End!

We have also been learning how to use Microsoft Sway which is an app where you can make a presentation or newsletter. We each made a presentation about who we are and learned how to use this incredible app.

We designed posters for the EIS’s poster competition. They had the theme “Refugees” where we encouraged them to come to D&G. Our final result was lots of beautiful colourful posters.

Fraser said, “I enjoyed learning how to use Microsoft Sway!”

Ewan said, “I learned how to mentally multiply by 25, 50 and 75.”

Hazel said, “I learned how to set out a script correctly.”

Reminders for next week  –  our projects are due in on the 12th December so only two weeks to go!!!

Primary 7

We worked collaboratively to create a map of the Titanic’s journey to scale.

We used press printing technique to create a picture of the Titanic sinking (we have attached a picture of it).

We held our sharing the learning assembly about the Titanic.

Lily – “I worked collaboratively to produce my map.”

Oliva – “Drawing the map was difficult because we had to make sure the scale was correct.”

Justin – “I was excited to make ice-cream during assembly.”

Reminders for next week  –  Movie night is in the hall on Thursday 5th December.