Young Engineers Area Final

Well done to Nathan and Connal from P5 for their recent participation in the area final for the annual engineering competition run by Glasgow Science Centre. The event took place at Glasgow University’s Dumfries campus. Connal and Nathan were two out of 26 pupils who reached the final, out of an overall entry of over one thousand students. Well done to both of them. The judges were particularly impressed with their problem solving, communication and presenting skills.

P7 Celebration of Learning

Many thanks to all the parents, families and friends who came to our Celebration of Learning on Tuesday afternoon.  I have no idea how we all managed to fit into the classroom!  Thank goodness you could enjoy a little more space in the hall when our groups performed their creative dances to The Black Eyed Peas – I Got a Feeling and for those who participated very bravely in the parents against pupils Floorball!

Back in class there was lots of good learning on show and P7 kept everyone busy playing French Body Bingo, Singing in French (even with our fantastic class band accompanying!), taking on Samson Maths speed challenges and guessing the pupils from the baby pictures, making batteries using potatoes and lemons as well as teaching parents how to programme machines using Lego We Do.  It was a great afternoon and the children really enjoyed sharing time with everyone.

Breakfast Jog Club

Yesterday we took to the streets for our first jog club of this session.  We left the school bright and early before the school day and headed down to the Dock Park.  Once we got there we did some warm up exercises and jog/walk activities around the park.  We finished with some relay races which always prove popular.   We headed back to school for bell time and all felt energised and ready to rise to the challenges of the day!

Designs for Easter Bunny

Yesterday Easter Bunny visited Primary 1 and the children had great fun designing and creating new homes, cars and toys for him to play in! We hope you enjoy having a look at some of our creations:

Ice Hockey Success

Tomas is a very talented sports person. One sport in which he has a special talent is Ice Hockey. he has won quite a selection of trophies over the last wee while.

Badminton Success

Well done to Tomas and Ewan for their recent success in the Regional Schools Badminton Competition. As you can see from the photo they performed brilliantly to win their trophies.

Garden area has a new addition- Potting Shed

As you may have seen from a recent newspaper article, we have been making improvements to our garden area in preparation for the new growing season. Our latest addition is  a potting shed. Along with our new raised growing beds and our new cooking facilities, we are looking forward to being able to grow our own and cook our own as part of the curriculum for our children.

Street Dance Success

Well done to Sam for his recent street dance success in the UK championships. Sam placed 5th and has the trophy to prove it. It is wonderful to see a young person succeed at something they are passionate about. Well done Sam!

Sam Street Dance Success

P3 Victorian Celebration of Learning

P3 had a brilliant afternoon on Wednesday when they shared their learning about all things Victorian with their families. We had kept all our knowledge top secret to surprise our families and it was lovely to now be able to share lots of different things. All the children developed their talking skills as they presented the information that they had  chosen to share. A variety of other skills were shown off too and the children were really proud of their efforts.

Some comments from the class included:- ” I liked the way that everyone had a role and everyone did really well” (Gemma) ” I liked trying the gruel…but my mum didn’t!” ( Reece) ” I can now write my name in Victorian cursive writing” (Chloe) ” I remembered lots of facts about Victorian workhouses” ( Kevin).

The children loved hearing the feedback from their families too. Comments included –  ” I enjoyed finding out all about the trip to New Lanark”, ” I thought the kids did a fab job with great information and talking clearly”, “I thought there was a great variety in the different parts of the celebration – informative parts, funny parts and entertaining parts”, ” I learned such a lot especially about Queen Victoria and Prince Albert”.

A big thank you to all who attended. Some pictures of our trip to New Lanark and our Victorian Celebration of Learning follow.

Primary 1 Bake Sale for SCIAF

On Friday Primary 1 held a Bake Sale with money raised going to SCIAF (The Scottish Catholic International Aid Fund).  The children had been busy baking all week in school and also very kindly brought in donations of cakes and candy.

The children loved being the shop keepers and selling the cakes they had made.  We also made sure P1 had a chance to buy and sample some tasty treats!

We would like to thank everyone that donated and bought from us on the day – we raised an amazing £230!