Why we shouldn’t do oil drilling in the artic

Oil drilling is TERRIBLE for the planet and its definitely not good for all those animals especially the polar bears because their ice bergs are already melting and that means they have even less space to hunt themselves! We know we shouldn’t be doing this and we do it anyways. You have to admit, humans are selfish. They only think about themselves. What about the other animals? How would you feel if you were a polar bear and first the ice starts melting, because of humans, global warming is happening BECAUSE of humans and we should never do something that only benefits us, but also benefits other creatures no matter how small or deadly. The world needs us to fix what we started and this is NOT a good start. Someday in the future I hope that we all realise how horrible we have been, and actually HELP the animals to thrive in their home places.  Every single animal is thankful to you for not littering, not burning plastic and saving them from bad situations. I have saved many animals in my life. I have save 3 crows, a  baby water vole, a robin, a great tit, pigeon, a baby pheasant, 8 baby hedgehogs a house martin and a lot more. It feels amazing when you think to yourself, “I have just saved a life” And you could save many others lives by not supporting the terrible things we do, like cutting down rainforests, fracking, hurting animals and bugs, littering, putting your garbage into the ocean. Not supporting all these activities will be better for everyone. And and being nicer to the planet in general. Another reason why oil drilling is horrible is because (my brother told me this) when we spill oil while doing this, animals get themselves into it by mistake and try to clean it off, and get oil in their mouths and die. It’s just SAD. You help the planet, you help everyone. Thats only one of the ways that can harm them. They drill oil to get fuel for cars and trucks and when they do this, the cars and trucks burn the oil causing carbon dioxide to float into the atmosphere. And it is of because global warming which causes polar bears ice bergs to melt. I hope you understand.

By Rhona

4 Replies to “Why we shouldn’t do oil drilling in the artic”

1. Hi Rhona,
    Gosh, you have covered a lot there!
    First of all, well done to you for saving all of those animals – great job. 🙂
    I think you have lots of great facts in this piece of writing. All of it sends a great message, but not all of it fits the title, although I can see why you have said to be kind to all animals, as there is a link to how the drilling for oil in the Arctic will affect the animals there, and a wider link to how it will impact on global warming and how that affects animals.
    You have put so much effort into this, Rhona and there are so many fab sections. Could I make a suggestion for how to make it more impactful for an audience?
    (Well I’m going to, because I am a teacher!)
    If you go through your writing and see which bits are definitely answering the title question – Why shouldn’t we do oil drilling in the Arctic? Could you just keep those parts and leave the rest out? The rest is all good stuff, it just takes your audience’s thoughts away from the point of the writing.

If you would like to try this, that could be your first paragraph and then perhaps you could write a second paragraph, suggesting a better alternative to using oil? If you wanted to, you could then address it to President Biden at the top, and sign off at the bottom, then you will have covered the task really well.

Rhona, I know I’m giving you lots of suggestions here. I can see you had so much to say it was just tricky to organise it all! I am so pleased that you have thought carefully about the oil drilling and all its implications; you are a very kind person to be considering how humans affect the rest of the Earth.

2. Hi Rhona, it’s not bad at all! It just has lots of extra bits in, because you had so many interesting things to tell us! Are you going to have a shot at editing?