My Scottish learning

Hello team Hollywood!!!

This morning I read the story about Jordan’s new Jaiket and I read the two poems. I managed to translate most Scottish words apart from three: doukin,besom and fyke. Does anyone know what they mean in English?  I also wrote my own poem, here it is:

Aw Mither

Can ye tak’ me tae Palmerston fur fish ‘n’ chips ‘n’ tae th’ speil pairk if ye hae time. Ah hae Dane a’ mah homework ‘n’ ah promise tae hulp choap th’ lime.

A’richt mah wee lassie, ah will tak’ ye thare th’ nicht
We kin hae some fin, ‘n’ choap th’ lime some ither time.

7 Replies to “My Scottish learning”

1. I think your poem is great, Mena! It made me smile 🙂 You have understood the Scots that you were given. I know besom is a cheeky word for a girl or a woman, but I would have to look up doukin and fyke! I wonder if any of the other children can help?

2. Aw Mither – terrific work Mena. I’m away to read it again as you’ve used great Scots language and I have to think about it carefully as I read.

3. Besom is a broom Mena – in the poem they wonder what size of “besom” the crocodile uses to brush his teeth! Fyke in the poem means fuss or bother.
    Your poem is fabulous Mena – you’ve used Scots well, it’s persuasive and funny! Bravo!!

4. Miss Stapleton, I never knew a besom was a broom. My mother-in-law , who spoke a lot in Scots, used to call me it. I thought in the poem it was a way of saying the crocodile had eaten a girl! I am glad you have put us straight!!