Music from the Arctic

Good morning, hope everyone is well.

I read Caspian’s last blog post with interest as I had not heard of Mongolian heavy metal. So I looked it up and played some for my family and one of my boys said, “Isn’t that The HU?” Apparently he is already quite keen on Mongolian heavy metal, I just didn’t know! The HU is a Mongolian heavy metal band.

Anyway, the reason I wanted to look it up (apart from Caspian’s recommendation) was because as I have been learning about the Arctic I have learnt that some tribes from the Arctic also use the throat singing, or growling, method. This is not compulsory to watch, but if you are interested this video tells you how to do the throat singing and also mentions the drums which are used. Drumming and dancing is popular with the Arctic people.

Inuit throat-singing sisters from Canada – YouTube

Thanks for taking our learning further, Caspian. I have to say, like Tanith, the heavy metal is not all to my taste, but the throat singing is interesting how it mirrors the sounds of nature.

2 Replies to “Music from the Arctic”