Whittling with Mrs. Madden

Decorative and Useful Clip

Miss Dale told me that my Whistle Whittling blog was too long last week so I’m going to try to do a shorter one this week.

To make this clip you will need a fairly thick branch (this one is sycamore), a pruning saw or something similar, a whittling knife, a cut resistant glove, some sand paper and a sprung wooden peg.

Saw off two discs, about 1 cm thick, from the end of your branch.

Wear your cut resistant glove and use your whittling knife to remove the bark and to slightly round off the edges of your discs of wood.

Sand your discs, first with coarse sand paper to remove all the rough bits and then use the finer sand paper to smooth the wooden discs.

Once you are satisfied that the discs are smooth, you can paint one of them with a design of your choice.  I chose a daisy and varnished it once it was dry.  Then I glued both discs to either side of a wooden peg, using wood glue and left it to dry.

I stuck my clip onto the inside of my kitchen sink cupboard door, using sticky fixers, so that I could hang my rubber gloves up.

One Reply to “Whittling with Mrs. Madden”