Whittling with Mrs. Madden

Yay, I have a new knife (I ordered it on the internet).  I wanted to show you some different cutting techniques so I persuaded my son to help me.

It is better to use a slight slicing action when whittling and making small shallow cuts, not digging too far into the wood.  As you can see from these photos, Andrew is left handed, so he wears the right cut resistant glove (I wear the left one because I am right handed).  He also wears a thumb protector (made from the horse bandage that I showed you in my first whittling post) on his knife holding hand.

Try to make most of your cuts away from your body and rest your spoon (or whatever you are making) against the blocks on the whittling seat. 

To make small, controlled cuts use both thumbs to push the blade. 

To round off the ends of your spoon, start by resting it against  one of the blocks on the whittling seat and make small cuts downwards.