My latest work

Hey!
I completed the Sumdog challenge 😀

As part of health and well being we discussed feelings when we went out on a walk.

We talked about some of the feelings the last year had made us feel.
I chose
Gloomy.
Being stuck at home and not being able to have days out further away from home can be quite hard to cope with. A change of scenery is always good so it’s not nice to not be able to have that choice. I also miss seeing my friends and being able to see people at school.
Glad.
Being at home has allowed me to focus on my feelings and how to cope with anxieties I have. I can have a bit of quiet time when I need it to breathe and calm down.
Bit of anger.
Just before I moved to Holywood I missed a bit of school because of the NWCC mistakes so my education was interrupted. I got to Holywood and settled in and put missing school behind me. Now my education is being interrupted again. So I find it a bit frustrating. I know nothing can be done and we are still home schooling at least. But still it’s not as good as being at school.

It’s important to talk about how you feel!

I’ve had a look at the differences between the Arctic and the Antarctic.
The biggest difference is that the Arctic is sea surrounded by land while the Antarctic is land surrounded by sea. This is the main reason behind a lot of the differences.
In the Arctic during the summer they have 24 hours of daylight. When the Arctic is having 24 hours of daylight the Antarctic is experiencing 24 hours of dark. During the winter they swap round. The Arctic has 24 hours of dark whereas the Antarctic has 24 hours of daylight.  While it is summer in the Arctic, it is winter in the Antarctic and vice versa.

The Arctic has had the highest temperature recorded at 13 degrees and the lowest at minus 43. The Antarctic has only had a highest temperature of minus 12 and a lowest of minus 62. This is because the Antarctic is much, much higher above sea level than the Arctic and the higher up you go the colder it gets.

The landscapes are different as well. The Arctic has big rivers, mountains, flat land and tundra. The Antarctic is 98% covered in ice so is made up of icy mountains, glaciers and smooth sheet ice. There isn’t any big rivers and none that flow all year round.

In the Arctic there is a good range of plant life and this is mostly found on the tundra. In the Southern Arctic there can be 80-100% of the tundra ground covered in plant life. There is lot less plant life in Antarctica. Only about 1% of Antarctica is ice free allowing plants to grow. This is usually on islands and on exposed rocks. Some of the plants, which are lichens, have to grow inside the rocks.

The Arctic has a wide range of land animals. including reindeer, musk ox, lemmings, arctic hares, arctic terns, snowy owls, squirrels, arctic fox and polar bears. The animals live spread out as there isn’t enough resources to support them living close together. Carnivores will have a wide territory. In the Antarctic the biggest land only animal is a midge. Most animals that live there spend a good amount of time in and around the water. This includes penguins, seals and other birds. There can be areas where the wildlife lives quite close together.

There are many different indigenous people that live in the Arctic and the permanent population in the Arctic is about 4 million people. The Antarctic has a permanent population of 0. It does get tourists and people going to visit science centres, but no one stays for the whole winter.

I hope you all had an amazing day
Bye for now
Cleo

3 Replies to “My latest work”

1. Fantastic research comparing the Arctic and Antarctic Cleo. There are lots of differences between the two places. Great idea to discuss your feelings while out for a walk. It’s so important to talk about how you feel – especially at the moment when things are so different for all of us. Hopefully we will have you back at Holywood soon! It’s very strange being here without the whole team.

2. Hi Cleo,
    I think it is brilliant that you know how to help yourself calm down, when you feel anxious. Thanks for sharing your feelings with us. I think you are right that a change of scenery is a good thing.

Excellent research about the Poles, Cleo. You covered several themes – the climate, the landscape, the animals and the people. You made clear comparisons. Well done on a super piece of work.