Busy Day in the Hub

In the hub today we did  a scavenger hunt. The children had to find something soft, smooth, man-made and something interesting.

Mrs Madden did some origami with the children.

There was lots of Arctic art. Can you guess who was inspired by which of the artists we have been looking at?

After learning about ice cores, some children investigated ice that we found in the school grounds.

In the bottle you can see some children added a layer to our hub ice core.   If you are in school tomorrow, check it out!

100% !

The ice block!

More Arctic dioramas were made.

Careful observations of the artist’s original work being transferred onto own designs.

We enjoyed the P4/5 Teams catch up!

Wednesday 10th February by Ella

Hi

Today we started off doing a workout.  I did one of my mums then I chose one. I was sweating.

I read some of my books and said my tricky words then we had a hunt. I hid the words and mum had to find them then I read them.

We have started the ice experiment. Here it is so far then I did the experiment with the lard. It felt so gooey inside the glove.

My happy photo is trying new lip gloss and lipsticks. This rubber lip thing is meant to make ur lips really soft. I think I look quite funny.

Bye

Work

Hello everyone! Cleo here. Today I will be sharing a bit of work I’ve been doing.

I read the Arctic research page and did some more research myself. I answered the questions.

1. The UK is doing a lot of research in the Arctic. The United Kingdom is made up of Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and Wales. There is also a group of countries doing international Arctic research – this is made up of 8 countries surrounding the Arctic. They are Canada, Kingdom of Denmark (including Greenland and Faroe Islands), Finland, Iceland, Norway, Russia, Sweden, and the US.

2. Adapt: If you adapt to something you change your behaviour or ideas to deal with it successfully.
Periglacial: Relates to a part of an area in a frozen or ice covered region.
Thaws: If snow,ice or something frozen thaws, it melts.
Commercial: Either involving or relating to buying and selling goods.
Sustainable: It is able to be maintained at a certain rate or level.

3. Two areas of research they are focusing on are: How are we able to improve our prediction of what will happen to the Arctic in the future? What is causing the extremely fast changes in the Arctic?

4. Marine research in the Arctic relates to Scotland. There are signs the melting of the ice is affecting the seas surrounding Scotland, which is affecting the fishing industry. Cold water fish catching has halved in the last 30 years and it is predicted the North seas will become 20% less productive.

5. I would like to do more research on wildlife at Holywood. I would like to monitor numbers of certain species that were spotted in the school grounds. It would be interesting to do this over multiple seasons to see how the changes in weather would affect numbers and sightings.

I did the Broons again, this time I’ve done the Scots version and added in all the punctuation and speech marks.

“Come on, you lot!” nagged Grandpaw.“Pit yer auld clothes in this case for the bramlin’!”
“Why can we no’ jist wear oor auld clothes tae the but an’ ben?” One o’ the Twins asked.
“Because ye’re no goin’ doon Glebe Street dressed in rags. That’s why!” stated Maw Broon.

“Awa’ for the weekend Mrs. Broon?” questioned the neighbour.
Maw Broon replied,”Er….yes. We’re just taking a break, up at our country cottage.”

That afternoon they arrived at the cottage. “Here we are!” announced Grandpaw. “We’d better turn in early the nicht. We’ll be up at the crack o’ dawn for the berries the morn’!”

Next morning Grandpaw was yelling, “Rise an’ shine, a’body! Let’s get at thae brambles!”

In the brambles Henry spotted something. “Is that a berry bug doon there?” he checked.
“Na, it’s jist the Bairn!” Paw Broon responded.

“Just as well we’ve got oor auld togs on eh, Maggie?” stated Maw Broon.
“Yes! These thorns would rip our tights to shreds!” replied Maggie.

Later that day Grandpaw called, “That’ll dae, a’body!” We’ve got enough now tae mak’ a few pounds o’ jam!”

Paw Broon hurried Grandpaw on, “Come on, Paw! We’re gaspin’ for a cup o’ tea!”
“Aye, get yer key oot an’ open the door!” Hen agreed.

“Oh no!” ,Grandpaw excalimed, ” I’ve left my keys in my guid breeks an’ they’re still inside!”

“Well, well, if it’s no’ the Broons back from their country cottage. Ha-ha!” mocked the neighbour a short while later.
“Whit a disgrace!” the Bairn thought.

I wanted to share this picture of Gherkin, our biggest mantis. She is an Indonesian Double Shield (Pnigomantis Medioconstrica). She’s very chilled out and curious.

I’m now off to do some Epic reading.
I hope you all had an amazing day and keep smiling because it’s contagious!

By Cleo

Fish Tank

This morning after reading my words I did some adding and take away sums.  Maw then Read the poem ‘A Dug’ again and I wrote down some words that rhyme for my poem ‘A Fish Tank’.

I enjoyed doing this, it made me laugh but I did need a bit of help putting it all together.

I am going a walk this afternoon and will do some reading later on.

Esmaé’s Blog

Hey everybody today I did some word problems. I picked 4 of them. Then I did my five a day and then I did some time stables. Im going to make some cupcakes now. By Esmaé