The Broons’ Bramblin’ Weekend

Hello! Caspian here!

I have done some maths and spelling today. I also watched NewsRound and discussed the stories with Mum and Mark. I also had to put punctuation into the Broons comic and then do it in english. Here is the Scot version:

“Come on, you lot!” Nagged Grandpaw. “Pit yer auld clothes in this case for the bramblin’!” “Why can we no’ jist wear oor auld clothes tae but an’ ben?” One o’ the twins asked. “Because ye’re no goin’ doon Glebe Street dressed in rags. That’s why!” Stated Maw Broon. “Awa’ for the weekend Mrs. Broon?” A lady on the street asked. “Er…yes. We’re just taking a break, up at our country cottage.” Maw Broon replied. That afternoon they had reached their cottage. “Here we are!” Grandpaw said. “We’d better turn in for the night. We’ll be up at the crack o’dawn for the berris the morn’!” Grandpaw instructed. Next morning, Grandpaw stepped out of the house to pick berries. “Rise an’ shine a’body! Let’s get at those brambles!” Grandpaw commanded. When they got there, they all had their own conversations. “Just as well we’ve got oor auld togs on eh, Maggie?” Maw Broon asked Maggie. “Yes! These thorns would rip our tights to shreds!” Maggie replied. Later when they had picked enough berries Grandpaw shouted: “That’ll do a’body! We’ve got enough to make a few pounds o’ jam!”. When they got home, Hen and Joe were waiting outside. “Come on Grandpaw! We’re caspin’ for a cup o’ tea!” Joe complained. “Aye, get yer key oot and open the door!” Hen asked Grandpaw. “Oh no! I’ve left my keys in my guid breeks… An’ they’re still inside!” Grandpaw explained. When they walked past the lady’s house. “Well, well. If it’s no’ the Broons back from their country cottage. Ha, ha!” The lady said. Whit a disgrace! The youngest Broon thought. 

And on that note, goodbye!

3 Replies to “The Broons’ Bramblin’ Weekend”

1. What a terrific piece of work Caspian! Great punctuation. I enjoyed reading on when you developed the storyline yourself. How are you finding the scots language work?

2. Fantastic literacy work Caspian. You have used lots of interesting punctuation- question marks, exclamation marks, inverted commas- well done. What is your favourite Scots word?