The Broons’ Bramblin’ Weekend

Hello! Caspian here!

I have done some maths and spelling today. I also watched NewsRound and discussed the stories with Mum and Mark. I also had to put punctuation into the Broons comic and then do it in english. Here is the Scot version:

“Come on, you lot!” Nagged Grandpaw. “Pit yer auld clothes in this case for the bramblin’!” “Why can we no’ jist wear oor auld clothes tae but an’ ben?” One o’ the twins asked. “Because ye’re no goin’ doon Glebe Street dressed in rags. That’s why!” Stated Maw Broon. “Awa’ for the weekend Mrs. Broon?” A lady on the street asked. “Er…yes. We’re just taking a break, up at our country cottage.” Maw Broon replied. That afternoon they had reached their cottage. “Here we are!” Grandpaw said. “We’d better turn in for the night. We’ll be up at the crack o’dawn for the berris the morn’!” Grandpaw instructed. Next morning, Grandpaw stepped out of the house to pick berries. “Rise an’ shine a’body! Let’s get at those brambles!” Grandpaw commanded. When they got there, they all had their own conversations. “Just as well we’ve got oor auld togs on eh, Maggie?” Maw Broon asked Maggie. “Yes! These thorns would rip our tights to shreds!” Maggie replied. Later when they had picked enough berries Grandpaw shouted: “That’ll do a’body! We’ve got enough to make a few pounds o’ jam!”. When they got home, Hen and Joe were waiting outside. “Come on Grandpaw! We’re caspin’ for a cup o’ tea!” Joe complained. “Aye, get yer key oot and open the door!” Hen asked Grandpaw. “Oh no! I’ve left my keys in my guid breeks… An’ they’re still inside!” Grandpaw explained. When they walked past the lady’s house. “Well, well. If it’s no’ the Broons back from their country cottage. Ha, ha!” The lady said. Whit a disgrace! The youngest Broon thought. 

And on that note, goodbye!

Washing Day

Today I have been doing some maths questions and quarters and halves and some spelling too. I read Jordan’s New Jaiket and drew a washing line with clothes on written in Scottish. I also helped mama make smarties chocolate cookies. They are yummy, even my old cat Nessaphina had some of my cookie.

Play happily, stay safe and smile every day xxx

British Museum Update

Hi Everyone,

Well, your questions about the Arctic were all sent to the British Museum last Friday. I thought you might be interested to see the reply.   I’m very excited that some of the Inuit peoples will be given chance to answer your questions…. we will have to wait patiently for the answers!

Hi Mrs Armstrong,

Many thanks for sending these questions through – I’ve sent these over to our Arctic Exhibition curators : Amber Lincoln, Peter Loovers and Jago Cooper. Amber is going to answer some but has also said she will speak directly with the Inuit peoples and ask them to provide some answers.
I’ll be in touch again as soon as I have an update for you.

Very best wishes,

Martin Payne

Head of Schools and Young Audiences

The British Museum

In the hub

Here are some photos of the work the guys have been doing over the last 2 days in the Childcare Hub.

Answering reading questions, doing jumbled sentences and translating Scots…

Using concrete materials and number lines to work on subtraction problems, and some team work to solve word problems and the Inheritance Challenge…

And lots of Arctic art…

We’ve also made the most of it being dry (although cold!) and been out for some walks. Hope you are all having a good week too!

Miss Dale’s Book Blurb in Scots

Freish pupils ur made tae sign thair names in blood…the assistant heid teacher haes na reflection…the french teacher disappears whenever thir’s a stowed oot moon…
Follow Dauvit Eliot’s adventures at th’ spookiest schuil aroond – 

Mrs Fraser’s shopping list for Friday

Hi everyone,

This Friday I’m going to be making some delicious Mars Bar Crispy Cake.

If you would like to try it out here’s what you’ll need.

4 Mars Bars, 100g of butter or margarine, 100g of Rice Krispies, 200-250g of chocolate to top.  You might want some baking paper but it’s not essential.

See you on Friday!

Esmaé’s Blog

Hey everybody today  I did my five a day and some algebra. I finally finished The Broons family tree. I had some help from my mum and nana because it was hard to draw 11 people. But I did most of them. My favourite one I drawn was Daphne. By Esmaé

Prodigy

Hi there! Caspian here.

I have been looking around on Top Marks and I found a cool maths game called Prodigy. I have got to level 13 in it. It not only does maths, but you can get pets, and wands, and spells, and relics, and wizards, and battles, and quests. I was hoping our school could sign up to it and we could all do maths and battle titans made by The Puppet Master in it.

Bye!

Some work from me

hi everybody
I have been doing lots of mental maths. I watched the video lots to try remember the tips on how to do it. I actually enjoyed it and asked to do more today but I don’t like the take away as much as adding.

I did Miss Dale’s map. Did Miss Dale mean to write soup or shop? we decided you’d buy the soup at the shop so they’d both be in the same place.

I read Jordans new jaiket.
1. Jordan was dreaming about football.
2. Jordan was woken up by his mum.
3. Jordans mum was angry. I know this because of what his mum was saying.
4. He was excited because it was really snowy outside so he wanted to go out and play.
5. Jordans new jacket was outside on the snow man.
6. His mum is gonna dry the jacket with the warm fire.
7. I think the familys going to build a snow man.

I watched some videos about different people that have been to the Arctic.

Jade Hameister
I watched a video about Jade. She is the youngest person to go to the North Pole. She was only 14.
I would like to go to the north pole because I love snow and I would love to see all the animals. I think I could do it now at the age of 8.

Matthew Henson
One of the first people to reach the North Pole. He was born in 1866. This was the year after the civil war. He was born and grew up in Maryland. Some people think he reached the North Pole first. He was a cabin boy on a ship when he was 13 years old. He met the explorer Robert Peary in 1887 while working in a store. Peary hired Henson to help carry things on the expeditions. Henson worked with Peary for 20 years and was really good at all the parts of exploring – for example dog sledding and hunting. He also learned to speak the Inuit language.
The explorers had to try a few times to reach the North Pole. Legend says Henson reached the pole before Peary, making him the first man to walk and stand on the north pole. Peary got the Hubbard medal when he returned, but Henson didn’t get one until 100 years later when he had sadly already died.

bye every one (●’◡’●)