Storytelling and Reading

Hi Everyone,

As it is National Storytelling Week, I’d like to explain the difference between storytelling and reading.  You CAN tell a story by reading  a book.  But storytelling began long ago, before books were even written.  Stories were passed on by word of mouth, by dance, by acting out. Sometimes props were used to help the storyteller show their audience what happened. Sometimes the props were an aid to remind the storyteller what to say. (When you’ve watched my film you can tell me what my props were, so that I didn’t forget!) Story sticks were a way of remembering the story of a journey. Even bees tell stories – when they return to the hive they dance a story to tell where the best flowers are for pollen to make honey.  Because stories were mainly spoken they would often be very slightly different every time they were told. Like a recipe, passed on through the generations or to friends, everyone adds their own tasty ingredient or takes out the bits they don’t like. And that’s ok, as long as the main idea of the story is kept.

So, when telling a story, sometimes it’s good to read a book and show the pictures. Pictures are a great prop! But sometimes when telling a story it’s  good just to retell the story, in your own words. The parts that were exciting or interesting to you are the parts you remember best. Those parts become the parts you pass on to your audience in an exciting and interesting way and that’s what they will remember, to pass on to the next person.

You can tell true stories that really happened to you. Or you can tell someone else’s story. I hope you enjoy the story I tell in the film. It is part of a bigger story, by one of my favourite authors, Douglas Adams.

Julius Caesar

Hi there! Caspian here!

Today I have done some maths and spelling and I also did a project on Julius Caesar. I did some illustrations to show the storyline. The first one is where Julius’ wife warns him he’ll die. The second one is Julius being murdered by Brutus and some other people. The third one is Mark Antony becoming emperor of Rome. The fourth is of Brutus killing himself on the battle field. I also am going to write down one fact about Roman gods each day at the back of my book.

Thats all today, See ya! Also today’s fact is…(Drumroll please!) There are 20 male deities with the Roman God Mars Of Romano Britain. For example, Toutatis and Camulos.

TOM HUGHES – Holywood Storyteller

Tom Hughes is a storyteller living in Holywood.

He’s very interested in sharing traditional folk tales.  You might have heard him tell stories at the school’s gala day, on a community history walk around the area, or at the village hall which he helps to run.  Here he’s telling a favourite tale, the story of foolish Mr Vinegar.

And here he is telling the tale of The Russet Dog

Today’s Work

Day 16 of home school learning today i done some sumdog, then colour  quarters & half’s, then i done a cinderella story’s  and I  done the months of the year .

Barnacle geese quiz

Hello, I’m back and have information. I’ve read the barnacle geese document and I’ve done the quiz.

This is what I got:

:

Hope you have a good day goodbye!!

By Kaitlyn

Daniel and Abigail’s work today

This morning Daniel and Abigail have read Cinderella and Prince Cinder’s, done some maths and a little more reading.  Daniel is ordering numbers to 30 in the photo.
Abigail is doing well with fractions and her 4x table. She’s started her 6x table today.
The picture shows the Cleaning Fairies 🧚‍♀️