What learning I did today

Hi everyone! It’s Cleo. Today I read the short version of Romeo and Juliet and found it quite dramatic. Not sure if romantic stories are my cup of tea.

Dear Diary,

I met this very intriguing man named Romeo. His eyes shined brightly whenever I looked closely at them. I like him very much and I cannot remove him from my mind. At the party it was bustling with people, and it was amid the crowd he spotted me. He approached me immediately and was very quick to pronounce his love for me. From whispers in the crowd I was worried something wasn’t right. It wasn’t until I confided in my nurse that I found out his second name was Montague. My father would never agree to this as he despises the Montagues. I am also concerned what my cousin ,Tybalt, will think because he is angered very easily. He has a fiery temper.

However even with all this I can not forget his bright eyes and sweet words. Could it be that our love is meant to be? Is it worth the fury of my family? I don’t understand this ridiculous feud and I don’t think it’s important enough to stand in the way of love. In fact, forget them! I deserve to be happy. Perhaps there is a way…

I will go to my balcony to bathe in the moonlight and think upon it.
Goodnight.

I also watched Perfect Planet and I watched the volcano episode. Here’s three facts I found out.
Mauna Loa is the world’s biggest volcano. It is located in Hawaii.

There’s a lake in Kenya that flamingos go to that is made of salt. The flamingos nests are also made of salt. The flamingos drink the algae there and it turns them pink and it even dyes their eye a pinkish red colour.

Vampire finches are relatively new animals. They were evolved to eat blood as there was no other resource for them to eat. They live on an island called Wolf. The bigger birds let them eat their blood and scientists aren’t sure why. They think that they maybe started out by removing parasites for the bigger birds and the bigger birds assume that’s what they’re doing.

Hope you are all doing well! Remember to stay safe but still have fun! By Cleo

5 Replies to “What learning I did today”

1. Hi Cleo!
    Poor Juliet – in the diary you described her difficult choices very clearly, with some nice descriptive writing. What a conflict! Would you have made the same choice that Juliet did?
    I am glad you enjoyed the episode of Perfect Planet. We were also amazed that the big birds didn’t seem to care about the finches taking their blood.

2. Hi Cleo. Loved your diary entry – the conflict is clear and the questioning of love at first sight. Quite a dilemma for Juliet and you capture it beautifully – great phrasing too!

I saw the vampire finches…amazing and gruesome. Evolution is brilliant! You will need to tell Mrs Armstrong about your extended family at home!!

3. Romeo and Juliet is not really my cup of tea either, Cleo. However, the story has endured and has been re-told many times, in lots of different ways, for example, Gnomeo and Juliet (that one’s quite funny). I also watched that episode of Perfect Planet and learned a lot from it.

4. Wow Cleo! Your diary entry is fantastic. You have used some great vocabulary and really show Juliet’s struggle.
    Perfect planet is such a good programme isn’t it? I finished watching the series last night, the last episode about humans is a bit frightening!

5. You might not like the romance so much Cleo but you have written an excellent diary entry from Juliet’s point of view. You’ve managed to really get into how the character is thinking and feeling.
    Mauna Loa is amazing – I was lucky enough to get to go and visit in on a holiday. Will you be watching any more episodes of Perfect Planet?