Some of my work from today

Hi!

Today we watched an episode of Perfect Planet that was all about volcanoes and the animals that live around them.
3 facts I learned from the show are :

Flamingos eat a volcanic algae that makes them and their eyes pink.
Land iguanas on a Galapagos Island have to climb down a steep volcano crater to lay their eggs in the warm volcano ash.
There is a Galapagos Island called Wolf. It is the most remote Galapagos Island and little finches live on it. They are known as vampire finches because the only way they can survive there is to drink the blood of other bigger birds.

I also did some work on Sumdog. I then got my book that I received for Christmas called Encyclopedia of Ugly Animals. I chose an animal in it to read about. I then wrote out some information I learned about that animal and drew  a picture of that animal.

The animal I chose is actually one of my favourite animals – it’s called a proboscis monkey.
Proboscis monkeys are very good swimmers, using their webbed hands and feet to assist them when travelling from mangrove to mangrove.
The collective noun for a group of proboscis monkeys is a harem.
Their favourite food is found in the crab apple mangrove. They eat the leaves and the sour star shaped fruits.
Males use their nose to call and attract females. They also use this in a fight to scare the challenger.
Sadly the number of these interesting monkeys left in the wild has declined by more than 50% in the last 40 years.

Thank you for reading.
Rory.

5 Replies to “Some of my work from today”

1. Hello Rory!
    That is a coincidence – I watched that episode of Perfect planet with my children yesterday! you have picked out the facts we thought were interesting too. The finches were amazing.
    I didn’t know about the decline in the fabulous proboscis monkeys – that is a shame. Do you know why this is? The book that you found the information in looks very interesting. Thanks very much for sharing your present with us. Great drawing, too!

2. Hi Rory, would you recommend the book for the Reading Hub in school? It sounds amazing.
    I’ve read your post again, did you tell us why the Proboscis monkey is your favourite?!

Thank you for all your hard work!
    Miss Dale

3. Great work Rory – you have loads of interesting facts and your Encyclopaedia of Ugly Animals looks great.

4. Fantastic work Rory. You have taught me a lot of things about proboscis monkeys! I would love to have a look at your book when we get back to school. Hope you enjoy watching more episodes of Perfect planet.

5. I saw those finches too Rory, I’m not sure I was that keen on the idea of them… they were definitely interesting!
    Your book looks fab, and I liked learning about the proboscis monkey from your facts. How sad that their numbers have declined so much.