Whittling with Mrs. Madden

Sorry I’m late with my whittling post this week – I have been working at the hub this morning.

Today I’m going to show you how to whittle a small bird.  The one I am making is officially Britain’s smallest bird, the Goldcrest.  I have used a hazel stick.  I sawed an 8 cm length off the end of my stick.

I used my hatchet to take a little wood and bark off the sides of the piece of wood to form fairly flat sides.

I stripped the rest of the bark off using my whittling knife and drew an outline of the bird I want to make.

I used my workbench to firmly hold my piece of wood while I cut off the larger areas of wood outside the outline I had drawn.

I wore my cut resistant glove and started to make small cuts with my whittling knife to, gradually, shape the little bird.  I use a photo of the bird to keep referring to as I whittle.