Woodpecker Facts for Mrs Madden

Hi all, quick update from Caspian. These are my woodpecker facts from yesterday.

1. They can peck a tree 30  times per second.
  2.  They peck trees to make nests.
  3. Their life span is 6  – 11 years.
  4. There are 200 species of woodpecker.
  5. Some species live in deserts.
  6. There are air pockets protecting their brains so they don’t hurt their head when they are pecking.
  7. Males and females make the nest together.
  8. The wood chippings make the nest soft for the chicks.
  9. Woodpeckers are endangered.
  10. Sometimes they accidentally peck metal and telephone poles.

5 Replies to “Woodpecker Facts for Mrs Madden”

1. I did not know that woodpeckers have air pockets protecting their brains. It makes sense that they have something to protect themselves otherwise they would have huge headaches!!
    Good work!

2. Thank you Caspian – your facts about woodpeckers are fantastic. I particularly like the one about the air pockets in their skulls to protect their brains when they are pecking – great stuff!

3. Very interesting facts Caspian. Our lock down mission is to find the woodpecker in Castledykes Park! We hear it every time we visit but haven’t spotted it yet. I will let you know if we ever find it.

4. What fantastic facts Caspian. I also didn’t know that they have air pockets to protect their brains… that is so interesting!!