Life cycle of a praying mantis

Hi everyone, Cleo here! Today after maths and literacy we looked at life cycles. Here is one I did of the praying mantis, followed by a description of their life cycle

A female mantis lays groups of 14-100 babies in a froth that hardens to protect the egg through the Winter. This is known as an ootheca.

Baby mantids , called nymphs, hatch in the spring. Often their first meal is one of their siblings! Nymphs eat leafhoppers, aphids or small flies.

All through Summer  they shed their skin many times to reveal a new larger skin underneath. This is called moulting.

They have one final moult and this is when they officially become an adult. Almost all species of mantis also reveal a set of wings at this final moult. Females will go on to lay eggs of their own. Their life span is only approximately 1 year, so soon after egg laying they usually die. The life cycle will begin again with the new eggs.

Here is some bonus pictures of Matilda! (Who is actually a boy)

By Cleo

6 Replies to “Life cycle of a praying mantis”

1. Wow – great detail in your blog post Cleo. What a lot of technical language around the life cycle of a Mantis! I am learning new things everyday… Thank you!
    Miss Dale

2. This is brilliant Cleo, and I love that you’ve taken the chance to study your pet and find out about its life cycle. The photos of Matilda are amazing too.

3. Wow Cleo, you are working so hard! You’ve just taught me lots of things that I didn’t know! Fantastic photos of Matilda too!

4. That’s fab Cleo – I love all those mantis facts and the photos of Matilda are great.

5. Fab blog post Cleo- you have put a lot of hard work into this. I love the photos of Matilda. 🙂

6. Thank you Cleo I am writing a story and one of the main characters is a giant Mantis
    Your information was so useful and inspiring. Thank you