Feel-Good Friday

The weather was so lovely during the holidays that I went out for lots of long walks.  On the way, I spotted many different kinds of wild flowers.

Click on the Sway below to find out more about this week’s Feel-Good Friday challenge …

Remember – write your answers in your Home Learning Journal.  Don’t post them on the Blog, as everyone will be able to see them.  Just leave a message to let me know how you got on.  Good luck!

22 thoughts on “Feel-Good Friday”

1. Hi Ms Rees I’m going to try and do this but I’m going be walking my dog at about 12:30 or 1:00 because my mum has taking my dog out for a walk already. It looks really fun. Hope you have had a good week so far I certainly have. :):):):)

1. Hi Greig, lovely to hear from you. I’ve had a good week, thank you. The sunny weather certainly helps. I’m glad you’re going to give this challenge a go, and I hope you spot lots of wild flowers while you’re out walking the dog. Maybe you could even take photos and make up your own challenge for me, to see if I can identify them!

1. Great that you tried Megan, I found it challenging too! Made me realize how often I see them and I don’t know their names. Great way to learn them.

2. Thank you for giving it a go, Megan. I really love learning about nature and went on many nature walks when I was a child. I learned the names of all the plants and trees, and many of the birds and animals too. It’s amazing how many lovely things there are on our doorstep, but we often walk past them without noticing.

2. Ms Rees, this is a lovely challenge. I think you are all so lucky to be able to go for a walk in the country side. There a few I have no idea their names and I should because I see them often! Great way to learn their names.

1. Hola Greig! In fact it’s been a lovely week now that we are back to do activities with you all. I am happy to read that you have had too and that you are actively participating in the blog! 🙂

1. Thank you, Miss Maturana. I’m very lucky to have woods right behind my home, and the golf course and river only a short distance away.

3. If you want I will make a challenge with the flowers I find on the walk I’m going to do the same but with stones for me as well.

1. Thank you, Mrs Webster. I’ve noticed that the main colours at this time of year are yellow, purple, blue and white.

Edited to say: I was curious about why this might be, and decided to do a little bit of detective work. I found that a photographer had noticed exactly the same thing and had done some research of her own. This is what she discovered:

“It would appear that there are several theories as to why shades of yellow and white are the colours of spring.

Firstly, being brighter colours, they are easily spotted by what few pollinators are around in the cooler weather conditions. Next, the paler colours soak up the warmth from the weak winter sun more efficiently in relation to their background foliage and than darker coloured flowers, which generally emerge later in the season. This allows them to develop better and remain fertile even in colder temperatures.”

Fascinating! 🙂

1. Well Done and thank you Ms Rees on discovering this.
        We all seem to be finding out so many to new things, while working from home.

4. Sorry for the wait. my we went for a walk at about 2:00 so we got home at 3:15 I’ve got them now I just have to identify them. :D:D

1. Good morning, Greig. I hope you had a good weekend. There’s no rush – I look forward to seeing your challenge!

1. Thank you, Greig – I enjoyed looking at the pictures you took when you were out on your walk. I struggled a little with the first one but then remembered that my mum used to grow it in her rockery. I won’t put the answers on here in case someone else wants to do your flower quiz, but you should maybe have a closer look at number 4 … it’s not what you think it is!!!

1. Correct, Greig! Your photo was whins/gorse, not broom. They do look quite similar and flower at the same time, but gorse has sharp spines, whereas broom isn’t prickly at all. Well done for going back and checking. 🙂