BEFORE I GO

I would say that I have tested my interpersonal skills contacting head teachers and class teachers to talk about the Global Learning Partnerships programme (The Wood Foundation) that I am taking part in. This is the way I have been spreading the news why ‘I am flying to Rwanda’ in July 2015.image

Aims

To gain a unique insight into another culture which will provide context and knowledge to further support global citizenship teaching in Angus, Scotland.

To involve everyone in order to instigate curiosity, interest, knowledge and participation.

Assembly

1- Introduce the trip to Rwanda through a quiz as a way of having fun, challenging the participants and building up knowledge .

2- Promote a discussion on possible needs.

3- Consider that the group will come up with a plan to support the programme.

Result

The first opportunity happened in the ASN (Additional Support Needs) department of a secondary school when I delivered my first power point presentation.

As a result the small group of pupils was challenged to develop a plan to support my fundraising of £1,000. A coffee morning was beautifully prepared and the entrance was charged £1 which included a strawberry tart and coffee or tea. The event was animated by a raffle and the participation of all staff. In addition a fair  that was organised by the group sold strawberry jam, bedding plants and birds’ food. Amazingly everybody was engaged and enjoyed the event helping and using their skills  to strengthen the commitment and bringing the whole school together.

Follow-up activities

The impact of the assemblies in the school life will be discussed  later.  However my personal view is that this first stage, my pre-trip, definitely promoted engagement of pupils and staff working together. Moreover it was a personal development on individual skills as well as researching on their own interest about Rwanda.