GLP RWANDA 2015 FILM

I can watch this film over and over again and never get tired of it.

It brings smiles, tears and memories that will never be forgotten.  The trip to Rwanda began with an insatiable curiosity about the country and the people. I am still asking myself what surprised me about Rwanda. After long hours on the plane from Aberdeen (UK) to Kigali (Rwanda) I could sense greater calm. The country has some incredibly landscape with thousand of mountains.  I cannot forget to mention lakes, volcanos, the local market and the greatest opportunity I had to live and feel Rwandan everyday life. I walked the  wide  dust street of Ruhuha and the clean street of Kigali. I saw lots of motorcycle  and bicycle taxi drivers. There was so much that I had to digest emotionally,  such as the genocide museums and memorials.

I also had my days of a tourist as most travellers have. I was fortunate to go gorilla mountain trekking at Volcanos National Park, explore Akagera National Park and Lake Kivu.  We all had time to be on the road at the weekends and take time to relax and talk about our experiences.

Curiosity: the Rwandan people take very serious the approach which bans plastic bags since 2006. For several times I went shopping and the store provided paper bags. It works and it is really inspiring.

I was amazed with what Rwandan people can carry on their heads. The women walk  with an incredible elegant posture, strength and beauty with a perfect erect neck with baskets, food and bags on their heads.

However I admit that I did not have the patience to wait for several hours to be served in the restaurants. I have no idea of what goes on in the kitchen and why it takes hours to prepare a simple salad with fries. Most of the time, I preferred to get some snack from the market such as fresh fruit, baked corn, baked potato, popcorn, yogurt and samosa.

Communication is not a problem at all. In Rwanda you can speak French, English, Kinyarwanda and a mix of the three languages. The culture, the dance and rhythm of the drums speak for themselves. I felt part of the culture.