IT WAS A DREAM

In February 2015 I read in our online magazine (View) about an opportunity to go to Rwanda. I have always dreamed to have an experience abroad. Yes, I am Brazilian in Scotland and it has been my long term challenge of living and working in a country culturally different from mine. What drives me? The new, the difficulties and the differences. I kill a lion everyday, but I have been tremendously blessed and grateful for having been accepted the way I am. Scotland now is my home.

image

Rwanda? I think I know very little. I watched the  film ‘Hotel Rwanda’ and I remember I was very impressed. Genocide? Is it the only thing I know? It is better to learn about the country, people, culture and how they are represented in 2015 globally and the purpose of going to Rwanda.

I also thought about my family and how they would accept the idea of me living and working for a month so far from home. Besides, July is the month I usually  go to Brazil to see my family, relatives and friends. How they are going to respond to the news?

I thought very carefully and when I was determined to face the experience I spoke with my husband, the person that could stop me going. In fact he questioned about everything, but never said no. On the contrary, If that was my wish he would support me. That was it. His kindness, generosity and disposition to embrace the cause with me was enough to pursue my dream and that naive wish to make a difference in this world. How? I don’t know yet.

So, I filled in the application form to take part in the project Global Learning Partnership, a branch of The Wood Foundation. A month living in the rural area, teaching primary and secondary schools and delivering CPD to the teachers.  In the interview I was very nervous and repeatedly I was asked if I still wanted to go to Rwanda. I imagine that the challenge will be very high, but I was decided to go.

The place was granted and a week later I was in a residential weekend in Aberdeen, where I met all the other teachers who were taking part in the cohort July 2015. I packed the night before, woke up very early as I always do to take the train to Aberdeen. I was so excited that when I got at the train station, a little bit late I admit, that the train was leaving…What a disappointment!  Solution? I had to drive to Aberdeen, but the sat navigator took me straight to the venue and in time. Ufffa…

The weekend was intense for group engagement and preparation for what we can expect in Rwanda. There are do’s and dont’s.

Beautiful Rwanda! My heart is with you!  Now, I have to plan how to move ahead. How to engage my schools? How to start my fundraising? How to manage my time? How to be committed to everything I do? Meetings, teaching, blogging, reading, exams, family, leisure…a list of priorities is getting long.