Clishmaclaver – Brechin High Library Blog

June 21, 2017
by Miss Stewart
0 comments

The floor is lava..? Yeah, whatever.

So, the other week, when the normally ‘cred’ obsessed teenagers in my library all started scrambling for the safe higher ground – ie, the modular library seating – to spontaneous shrieks of, “The floor is lava!”, I thought nothing of it. To be honest I was actually rather impressed with their inventiveness, imagination and independence of thought. Ha! Silly me.

Not to put a downer on things (Much!) but it’s just so…meh; that this is just another internet craze, social media ‘challenge,’ fad, whathaveyou… Am I just getting old?

For me, playing The Foor is Lava, transports me back to a time when I sat transfixed, watching Brian Cant on Play School and – as The Guardian so beautifully puts it – listened to him tell, “the stories of Trumpton without cynicism or irony.” Oh yes. Could anyone who lived it ever forget,“Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb”? 😀

The wonderful Mr Cant has, of course, sadly just died. For anyone wishing to read a fitting tribute, I would heartily recommend the aforementioned Guardian article.

I vividly recall how programmes like Play School and the Trumptonshire trilogy – Camberwick Green, Trumpton and Chigley – and Cant’s mesmerising voice, served as a springboard into imagination play activities, like The Floor is Lava. Because imagination was king.

Is this why I don’t find the current reboot of my childhood game remotely funny, not now that I know it’s just another Instagram/Snapchat challenge? Is it the lack of imagination, of self-driven creativity that bothers me? I’m sure I’m as much of a ‘sheeple’ as the next person so it’s not disdain I’m feeling; not exactly…

Whatever the truth of it, I just wanted to say, thank you, Mr Cant. For the stories, the memories – and for my abiding belief in imagination.

Art credit: Thor is © 2017 MARVEL ; image found at Funnyjunk.com

50 Children’s Books All Adults Should Read – For Reading Addicts

Looking for tips on how to engage your teenager with reading, and keep the reading habit? Make sure they see you reading! Why not read a book together? A lot of teen fiction is crossover, and appeals to both teenagers and adults. This article from For Reading Addicts is very useful if you are looking for some good ‘book recs’ to start the ball rolling. 🙂

Here’s a wee PowerPoint I made for our P7 Transition Parents’ Event last week. It’s packed full of sound advice I garnered from the Scottish Book Trust and World Book Day 2017.

Evening_Event_1

June 19, 2017
by Miss Stewart
0 comments

Word of the Week!

Image result for face pareidolia

Our Word of the Week is Pareidolia –

Noun:

The imagined perception of a pattern or meaning where it does not actually exist, as in considering the moon to have human features – Collins English Dictionary
Do you ever see faces in inanimate objects? Most of us have experienced this psychological phenomenon at one time or another. I love ‘face pareidolia,’ and photos of ‘found faces’ are the best. 😀
Now for the science bit –
Art credit:©thingswithfaces.com / Dictionary text: ©HarperCollins Publishers

June 19, 2017
by Miss Stewart
0 comments

Help Avoid Summer Learning Loss!

Graphic Novels Are “Real” Reading

Ah, a fellow librarian after my own heart. 😉

This ‘shout out’ from Book Riot is American-themed, yes, but still highly pertinent for our own Angus-based Summer Reading Programmes – ANGUSAlive’s Join The Big Friendly Read – and other national reading drives like BookBug, etc.

So, how to avoid the Summer learning loss, or the “summer slide” (as it is referred to in this article), namely, children’s loss of knowledge and academic skills over the long summer period?

READ. READ. READ. That’s how. 🙂

Don’t be fussy about what your child/teen reads, and don’t write off comics and graphic novels as having less literary merit than novels. The key to developing a successful, sustainable, reading culture at school and at home is Reading for Pleasure. Every time.

Art credit: © 2017 DC Entertainment

June 19, 2017
by Miss Stewart
0 comments

Meet children’s author, Lari Don!

I'll be sharing stories at the #Galloway Children's Festival in #Kirkcudbright next Sunday, at 12 noon and 2pm. It's all…

Posted by Lari Don on Saturday, 17 June 2017

Found this on my FB feed. :O

Lari’s a wonderful storyteller; don’t miss this amazing, literary ‘day out’ for all your little readers, and budding authors! 😉

Photo credit: Galloway Children’s Festival

June 19, 2017
by Miss Stewart
0 comments

#Pledge2Talk

Image may contain: text

Latest post from Internet Matters is part of series on things to talk about with our children before cyberbullying happens: 11–13 year olds – tips to discuss cyberbullying. Let them know that once it’s out there it’s difficult to remove #Pledge2Talk
Art credit: Internet Matters

June 19, 2017
by Miss Stewart
0 comments

Optimus Pride!

Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor

I loved this photo posted on FB by The Big Glasgow Comic Page !!!
Optimus Pride
Remember, Pride Glasgow, Scotland’s largest LGBT festival will be held at Glasgow Green on the 20th & 21st August! #prideglasgow

June 19, 2017
by Miss Stewart
0 comments

Debating the Grenfell Tower Disaster

Classrooms up and down the country will surely be discussing this appalling tragedy. The Day has produced some excellent resources for use in school, including teachers’ advice for talking about the fire with children and young people:

“The Grenfell Tower fire feels like an era-defining event. It will be discussed in classrooms across the country and around the world. Events as starkly tragic as this are bound to engender some strong reactions. On a visit to North Kensington over the weekend, I experienced first hand the righteous, grief-fuelled anger felt by residents. One man, who had lost friends in the fire, expressed his fury at everyone from the council to the prime minister. Who can blame him? But in the classroom, these conversations are surely best when calm, rational and thoughtful without shying away from the difficult questions that need to be addressed.” – The Day

More issues to ponder – In the wake of the hellish blaze that killed dozens in London, the UK began allocating blame. But foreign media pondered what the tragedy tells about deeper problems in British society. – The Day

Photo credit: taken from The Day

June 15, 2017
by Miss Stewart
0 comments

Jam-packed with Teen Read Recs!

The juicy June Newsletter from Teen Reads is jam-packed with book recsReviews, Features, Blog, Contests, and Coming Soon sections. Read This Newsletter Online

You might also want to try 20SomethingReads.com, ReadingGroupGuides.com, GraphicNovelReporter.com, Kidsreads.com and AuthorsOnTheWeb.com.

Art/text©TheBookReportNetwork