World Book Day

To mark World Book Day, as well as a Reading is Power display we ran the following special activities:

Library competition – match the character to the book. Pupils had to track down members of staff who were wearing character badges and identify the book. This created a real buzz around the school.

Drop Everything and Read  (DEAR) – pupils were invited along to the Library at break and lunchtime for books, biscuits and banter. They could also pick up one of three WBD books. Only available while stocks last!

Edward Ross visit

The graphic novelist Edward Ross  came to the school to give a workshop to three S1 classes. Edward is the author and artist behind Filmish : a graphic journey through film and is passionate  about comics. He discussed his work and gave pupils tips about creating comic book characters. Pupils then had the chance to design their own comic. The feedback we received following the visit was very positive. Here are some of the comments:

“it inspired me and I went home and did a bunch of artwork about my comic”

“super awesome”

“I love comics. It was amazing”

“I thought the visit was innovative, exciting, interesting”  

Grampian Children’s Book Award 2019

The shortlist for the GCBA 2019 has been announced. Go to http://gcbookaward.wixsite.com/gcba for more information on each of the books.

Shelf Help

Feeling anxious? Worried about exam pressures or friendships? Come and have a browse in our new and expanded Shelf Help section in the Library. Here you will find books, leaflets and sources of information that offer help and advice on all sorts of stresses and problems.

Empathy Day

On the 12th of June we celebrated Empathy Day. We encouraged pupils and staff to #read for empathy by compiling a book list and a display of books that encourage empathy in the reader. We also ran a competition where pupils recommended a book that had helped them understand someone else and a sentence describing why.  All entries were displayed on an Empathy Wall with pupils with the best entries receiving a prize.

A visit from author Christina Banach

I enjoyed the author’s visit, it was interesting to hear the inspiration for the novel and how her book was published”

“It was a great book and I loved it being read to us”

“It was amazing, I really liked it”

“I really enjoyed the chapter she read. It got me really into the book and made me want to buy it

This is some of the feedback we received following Christina Banach’s visit to the school on the Tuesday before the Easter holidays. Christina is the author of Minty, a contemporary ghost story set in Fife, which concerns fourteen year old twins Minty and Jess. All S1 classes attended the talk where Christina told us about her writing, her inspiration and how her book was published. She also read us a particularly dramatic part of the book where we discovered what had become of Minty after she attempted to rescue her dog from the sea. A real twist in the tale! She rounded off her visit by talking about teen fiction in general and finished with a signing when pupils had the chance to purchase a copy of the book. It was an extremely entertaining session and the pupils seemed to get a lot out of it. Minty is now in great demand in the Library – our two copies have a long waiting list.

World Book Day – Staff Picks

This year we decided to ask teachers and support staff to choose their all-time favourite book. We had a good response. The results ranged from classics such as One Hundred Years of Solitude and The Handmaid’s Tale to titles from childhood such as The Secret Garden and The Magic Faraway Tree. All are on display in the Library – come and see what your teacher picked

Book Quiz

The postponed Book Week Scotland quiz was held on the last week of term. Eight teams battled to become champions, answering questions on a range of book related topics including a special Harry Potter round. It was a closely fought contest but The Forbinators team just beat the rest. Well done to Kirsty, Jess, Carly, Katie and Molly!

GGBA 2018 shortlist announced

The shortlist for the 2018 award is as follows:

Who run’s the world by Virginia Bergin

The bombs that brought us together by Brian Conaghan

Between the lies by Cathy MacPhail

Truth or dare by Non Pratt

A seven letter word by Kim Slater

Goldfish boy by Lisa Thompson

Grampian Children’s Book Award

An S2 class has been participating in the Grampian Children’s Book Award scheme; reading the shortlist voting for their favourite title and entering the review and poster competitions. The class attended the GCBA ceremony at Aberdeen University on the 10th May where they heard three of the shortlisted authors talk about their books. It was a very enjoyable afternoon made even better when we learnt that a Bridge of Don pupil had won first prize in the review competition.  Well done Lea!

James Clammer – “Thanks so much for inviting me. Great organisers, wonderful kids, fantastic day!”

Lisa Williamson – “Thanks for having us! It was a really fun day!”

Alan Gibbons- “It was great fun”