Linda Strachan visit

The author, Linda Strachan visited the school for a session with three of the S1 classes. Linda writes for all ages (she is responsible for the Hamish McHaggis series) but it was her gritty teen titles – Spider, Dead boy talking and Don’t judge me –  that she  was here to talk about. She told us how she got inspiration, how she researched her ideas and also read extracts from her books which had us all intrigued. It was obvious that the pupils enjoyed  the visit. Quite a few purchased one of her books on the day and library copies are still in great demand. Here is some of the feedback we received:

“Interesting – especially finding out about how an author gets inspiration or research. I also liked that the books had a “message” behind the story eg Don’t Judge Me is about trust and judging someone from what you see and know”

“Linda was very inspirational for all the pupils here. Her books look so detailed, fun and lots more”

“I really enjoyed Linda’s talk because it really made me understand what she does to get an idea of what the characters go through and what they feel”

“I think she was awesome. I loved how she said every word with emotion”

“I think it was very interesting and having the privilege of having an author here is cool”

“I thought Linda’s talk was very interesting and I loved getting to know the research that goes into her books”

“I thought it was wonderful! I loved listening to the author talk about her books”

“I loved it and the books are awesome! Helped me with my writing”

“It was very interesting and nice meeting and finding out about Linda Strachan and her books. It would be nice to do this more often”

“She has made me start reading again”

World Book Day

To mark World Book Day, as well as a Reading is Power display we ran the following special activities:

Library competition – match the character to the book. Pupils had to track down members of staff who were wearing character badges and identify the book. This created a real buzz around the school.

Drop Everything and Read  (DEAR) – pupils were invited along to the Library at break and lunchtime for books, biscuits and banter. They could also pick up one of three WBD books.

Edward Ross visit

The graphic novelist Edward Ross  came to the school to give a workshop to three S1 classes. Edward is the author and artist behind Filmish : a graphic journey through film and is passionate  about comics. He discussed his work and gave pupils tips about creating comic book characters. Pupils then had the chance to design their own comic. The feedback we received following the visit was very positive. Here are some of the comments:

“it inspired me and I went home and did a bunch of artwork about my comic”

“super awesome”

“I love comics. It was amazing”

“I thought the visit was innovative, exciting, interesting”  

Grampian Children’s Book Award 2019

The shortlist for the GCBA 2019 has been announced. Go to http://gcbookaward.wixsite.com/gcba for more information on each of the books.

Shelf Help

Feeling anxious? Worried about exam pressures or friendships? Come and have a browse in our new and expanded Shelf Help section in the Library. Here you will find books, leaflets and sources of information that offer help and advice on all sorts of stresses and problems.

Empathy Day

On the 12th of June we celebrated Empathy Day. We encouraged pupils and staff to #read for empathy by compiling a book list and a display of books that encourage empathy in the reader. We also ran a competition where pupils recommended a book that had helped them understand someone else and a sentence describing why.  All entries were displayed on an Empathy Wall with pupils with the best entries receiving a prize.

A visit from author Christina Banach

I enjoyed the author’s visit, it was interesting to hear the inspiration for the novel and how her book was published”

“It was a great book and I loved it being read to us”

“It was amazing, I really liked it”

“I really enjoyed the chapter she read. It got me really into the book and made me want to buy it

This is some of the feedback we received following Christina Banach’s visit to the school on the Tuesday before the Easter holidays. Christina is the author of Minty, a contemporary ghost story set in Fife, which concerns fourteen year old twins Minty and Jess. All S1 classes attended the talk where Christina told us about her writing, her inspiration and how her book was published. She also read us a particularly dramatic part of the book where we discovered what had become of Minty after she attempted to rescue her dog from the sea. A real twist in the tale! She rounded off her visit by talking about teen fiction in general and finished with a signing when pupils had the chance to purchase a copy of the book. It was an extremely entertaining session and the pupils seemed to get a lot out of it. Minty is now in great demand in the Library – our two copies have a long waiting list.

World Book Day – Staff Picks

This year we decided to ask teachers and support staff to choose their all-time favourite book. We had a good response. The results ranged from classics such as One Hundred Years of Solitude and The Handmaid’s Tale to titles from childhood such as The Secret Garden and The Magic Faraway Tree. All are on display in the Library – come and see what your teacher picked

Book Quiz

The postponed Book Week Scotland quiz was held on the last week of term. Eight teams battled to become champions, answering questions on a range of book related topics including a special Harry Potter round. It was a closely fought contest but The Forbinators team just beat the rest. Well done to Kirsty, Jess, Carly, Katie and Molly!

GGBA 2018 shortlist announced

The shortlist for the 2018 award is as follows:

Who run’s the world by Virginia Bergin

The bombs that brought us together by Brian Conaghan

Between the lies by Cathy MacPhail

Truth or dare by Non Pratt

A seven letter word by Kim Slater

Goldfish boy by Lisa Thompson