Life On An Island

We live on the Isle of Jura. Life on an island is very different from life on the mainland. The only school on the island is in the village and most children have to get up early  so not to be late for school. From the north end it takes around half an hour or sometimes even more to get to the village (depending on where in the north you live).

On the island there are around only 230 people. There are only 19 people in school including nursery. There are 2 classroom teachers, 1 nursery teacher, 1 classroom assistant, 1 secretary and 1 head teacher. The school also has 1 pet gold fish called Pebbles (we used to have another called Sandy).

Sometimes we have dolphins swimming up Craighouse bay and we once had Orcas up at the north end.

Written by Ava & Jayla

5 Replies to “Life On An Island”

1. I really enjoyed reading your blog, it contained lots of interesting facts and I would like to know more about what else you can see and do on Jura…

2. my dad says this. . .
    ‘Reading the blog makes me want to visit the Island and explore. i wonder how many wind turbines you have on Jura and i would love to see the history of Clans and Picts that lived on the Island long ago.’

3. Hi there
    Happy new year to you all. I like your blog as it tells me about a different place from where I am living.
    I have a very old book about birds, which was published in the 1920/30s. In the front a previous owner has written “Zena Mollison Small Isles Public School”. I see that your school is now named Primary School and I guess it was a long time ago that this inscription was written. I am wondering if anyone knows anything about Zena? Its an unusual name. Does the school have records of past pupils? I think it would be a very long time ago.
    Anne