Argyll and Bute Scottish Youth Parliament Elections: Make your vote count!

The Scottish Youth Parliament (SYP) represents Scotland’s young people. Our democratically elected members, aged 14-25, listen to and recognise the issues that are most important to young people, ensuring that their voices are heard by decision makers.There are four young people standing for two MSYP spaces to represent the Argyll and Bute constituency and two young people standing for one MSYP place to represent the Helensburgh and Lomond part of the Dumbarton constituency in the March 2013 elections; so your vote will decide who will win and represent your views at the Scottish Youth Parliament. Anyone aged 12 to 25 can vote, voting is easy and is done using your Young Scot Card between Monday 4th and Friday 15th March 2013. Simply type in your card number and the system will count all the votes according to Single Transferable Vote (STV).

The three successful MSYPs will be announced on the evening of Friday 15th March.
If you have any problems or do not have a Young Scot Card, please contact Roanna on
youngscot@argyll-bute.gov.uk or phone 01546 604752
http://elections.youngscot.org/Election/SelectConstituencyGroup/scottish-youth-parliament-elections-2013

Argyll & Bute: 2 MSYP places available for this constituency

Alana MacLachlan
“Hi, my name is Alana and I am 14 years old I and go to Oban High. I enjoy sports, sea cadets which I have been doing for 2 years, and attending the north Argyll youth forum – I have been a member for nearly 3 years. During this time we have accomplished many things like successfully completing a youth democracy exchange with a Polish youth group. We have also started trying to get a local tax put on alcohol which would go to worthy causes. If elected I will concentrate on improving public transport and making it cheaper.” See Alans’s full manifesto HERE

Clare Davis
“Please vote for me and I promise to make a difference.  Please read my manifesto for more information on my policies. HERE

David McLaughlin
“I am David McLaughlin from Rothesay in Argyll and Bute. I am standing for election in the Scottish Youth Parliament because I feel that within Argyll and Bute young people need a stronger voice within the local council and Scottish Government. I am the chairperson for Bute Youth Forum and I am part of Argyll and Bute Youth Forum, for further information including my aims please look at my manifesto HERE

Fraser Stewart
“I won’t make any promises I can’t keep but I will try and represent the young people of Argyll and Bute the best I can.  Please read my manifesto HERE and watch my video.”

Dumbarton (Helensburgh & Lomond area): 1 MSYP place available for this constituency

Caitlin Logue
“Three reasons why you should elect me:
1.  As a politics student who is politically active, I know my way around the system.
2.  I’m approachable, honest and reliable, and will regularly visit schools and can easily be reached on social networks.
3.  I have a sincere interest in making the voice of young people in the area heard. It is easy for young people to be ignored in a society where politicians care only about getting votes, ignoring anyone who is too young to vote. Don’t let them away with this!”
“OUR TIME FOR CHANGE” Read Cailin’s manifeto HERE.

Katie Burke
“My name is Katie Burke; I am sixteen and currently a pupil at Hermitage Academy. I believe that in the last year with my work as the current MSYP for Helensburgh and Lomond, I have served my constituency well representing them at both a local and national level. I am a very active member of the community and I have the experience and the knowledge to represent my area; I have the drive to achieve it and the voice to get things done. Please read my manifesto for more information HERE

If you have any questions or would like to know more about the Scottish Youth Parliament or any of the other Youth Services work to engage young people in democratic processes, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Roanna Clark
Argyll and Bute Young Scot/ Dialogue Youth Co-ordinator
Argyll and Bute Council
Phone: 01546 60 4752
Mobile:07786855733