Oban High’s New Manga, Anime and Comics Club!

Manga: food, mineral or comic? Not sure of the answer? You’re missing out on a whole world of possibilities when it comes to literacy and young people. Manga quite simply means “comics” in Japanese and is a term applied to an international market with a huge influence, especially when it comes to teens. Much of Manga’s growth in popularity is down to the impact of Anime films and series (Japanese animations). If you haven’t already, check out some of the visually stunning Studio Ghibli productions like Howl’s Moving Castle and Spirited Away. Here at Oban High, we’ve been harnessing the popularity of this genre in building a new and thriving club.

The OHS Manga, Anime and Comics club brings pupils with a wide range of skills together – drawing, writing, reading and discussing all things visual and inspiring. The group is pupil led, well supplied with experts, and is working together to promote their passion and further their skills. We were lucky enough to get Fiona Blakey in to work with us back in February and are looking forward to hopefully teaming up with ‘Scotland Loves Anime’ next Autumn for their charity festival. With competitions, book-swaps and displays, we are fast building a strong community celebrating art and literacy.

For more info, or to get involved, you can check us out at http://obananime.edublogs.org/ follow us on twitter @ohsmanga or email briana.breuer@obanhigh.argyll-bute.sch.uk

Plus, in preparation for some booktrailer production fun in conjunction with the Scottish Book Trust, the group has been experimenting with Screenr. You can view the first screencast produced at http://obananime.edublogs.org/files/2012/03/screencast-14ew8jy.mp4

12 thoughts on “Oban High’s New Manga, Anime and Comics Club!

1. I had a great time with the Manga Club! You are ALL good artists so keep drawing…….and maybe ask me back? 🙂

2. We would love to have you back! You had so many useful tips and tricks, really encouraged confidence in all. We will need to set up a date in the new term 🙂

3. This sounds absolutley awesome, i’m a die-hard manga/ anime fan here in rothesay i wish they could start this down here!

4. It is a learing curve for all of us! Even people that thought they knew a lot about manga!! Thanks for visiting Fiona Blakely! We really enjoyed your visit!!!

5. i love manga , i also love it as it fits round my zumba times :), may i come back some time?

6. Hey guys, I’ve been drawing manga for years and this sounds like a fantastic opportunity for me to better my skills. Can’t wait to see you there!

P.S. My favourite anime is Dragonball Z, Final Fantasy, Digimon, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Beyblades and Naruto. Looooove them!

7. Hello, I was wondering if it is okay to bring along a guest to the club, my younger brother would really enjoy coming but he is only in Primary 7, he will be in high school next year and I would be with him each time he comes, can anyone tell me if this would be allowed?
    also my mum wants to know if there will be juice or food provided or do we have to bring our own?
    Thanks for any help 🙂