P1B Friday 12th May

Our week started with a letter from the dragon who left us some magic beans to plant. The next day the children came into class to find they had grown into a gigantic beanstalk up through the clouds to a castle.

We decided to read ‘Jack and the Beanstalk’ and worked on retelling the story in our own words, through drama and sequencing pictures from the story into the correct order.

Lucas – The giant says Fe Fi Fo Fum I smell the blood of an Englishman.

Martyna – I liked acting out the story.

We drew our own beanstalks and imagined ourselves climbing it, using our senses to write what we would see and hear and thought about what the giant was eating for his dinner for what we could smell.

Connor – I can smell chicken nuggets.

Rose – I can smell chips.

Enso – I can smell egg and soldiers.

We used estimation strategies to estimate how many magic beans would fit in different size tubs and shapes. We also continued skip counting to count our steps up the beanstalk and started to think about sharing equally between two.

We also enjoyed play in the area where some children chose role play, sand, water and play dough.