Critical Reflection and Review

Critical Reflection and Review

In session 2013-14 I have been involved in a series of critical reflection, reviews and evaluation. These have included a whole school HMI, an Authority Thematic review with the focus on Literacy and Numeracy, two staff INSET Health and Well-being sessions, Learning Rounds and the annual PRD consultation with PTC Faculty. On a daily basis I work in an open-plan environment so adopt an ‘open-door’ policy, or is that a no door policy? As a result of this there is a constant stream of people either walking through the Art and Design department, and my classroom in particular, for a number of reasons; just passing through, coming to ask to borrow or use materials and facilities, looking for other members of staff or simply using my classroom as a shortcut to another department within the school. This arrangement in itself demands a certain degree of flexibility and adapting lessons, as one class starts and another ends, the flow of pupils changing to meet the timetable. As a result of this open-plan arrangement I have become quite accustomed to people ‘observing’ my lessons and have therefore become accustomed to visitors.

Having said that, no HMI is taken lightly, and brings with it a sense of trepidation, regardless of how prepared or organised one feels. Learning Intentions and Success Criteria must be made clear. Displays must be improved, labelled or updated. Lesson plans organised and Es and Os clearly displayed and shared with pupils. Assessment arrangements are tightened and cross-marking becomes more of a focus. Everyone feels the strain. My school received the best HMI to date, a true testament to the dedication and hard work of all staff involved in creating the best possible supportive learning and teaching environment for our young people. This could be said of every school within our local Authority, as well as nationally.

In 2012-13 the art and design department formed IDL with the Maths department and we prepared the pupils for a real design challenge, which was to design a Kilim prayer rug for a Nomads’ Tent exhibition at Howden Park Centre which was open to all schools in the Authority as well as local artists. The theme was on Kilim motifs, their meaning, imagery, as well as pattern making, which pupils covered in both Maths and A&D. Pupils were introduced to reflection/mirror imaging, rotational pattern. When the design was complete pupils prepared a story to illustrate the meaning behind the Kilim rug design, incorporating Literacy skills. Pupils became so engaged in the project and could really make connections between Literacy, Numeracy and A&D as well as a real life design challenge involving the whole community.

In session 2013-14 a Local Authority Thematic Review, focussing on Literacy and Numeracy was undertaken within our school. I volunteered for a lesson observation focussing on the inclusion of Literacy and Numeracy within Art and Design and IDL (as we had already formed links with the Maths department and the project had been such a success). I was observed by the Head teacher of one of the Primary Cluster schools and received very positive feedback.

Since 2005 I have been actively involved in Learning Rounds where staff observe the practice of other staff within the school and are themselves observed. This has been a very rewarding experience and is an opportunity for teachers to ‘step up to the mark’. I was involved in a Learning Rounds session this week 14/5/14 and feel privileged that other teachers within my own school, the cluster primaries and pupils value the experience of observing my teaching style and approach as a method of informing future practice or reflection. My open approach has resulted in what I have previously referred to as an ‘open-door’ practice. As a result of a Learning Rounds observation, members of staff from both the English and Maths departments enjoyed my lesson so much that they wanted to become involved in an art lesson and asked me if I would provide a CPD opportunity during the Health and Well-being In-service in May? I agreed, with the view that I would have no set plan but would welcome staff to the department and just facilitate the INSET by providing materials, a space to work and some friendly advice or suggestions. This was an ‘unlearning’ how to do art session (see post on HWB INSET 2013). It was a great success and as a result I provided a second INSET this session, 6/5/14 (see Post HWB INSET 2014) and we have already started talking about what the next session will entail!  Staff  are genuinely excited about my proposal, to produce a group piece, perhaps based on the work of a famous painting, Picasso’s ‘Weeping Woman’, Van Gogh’s ‘Sunflowers’, suggestions welcome, incorporating various styles and levels of ability brought together in a collaborative effort and exhibited in the school library for the whole school community to share.