My Place (space)

Finding a ‘place’ or ‘space’ can be difficult in a family home with two young children and a growing art practice. I feel it is important for my family to experience me painting and being creative as this may influence them, but like all kids, art is just such fun. As can be seen from the images, the family dining table features strongly and is a hub of activity. In the Spring I have made plans to move to the garage and make a ‘place’ for myself there, so watch this ‘space’.

Professor Baldacchino talked about finding a place for oneself as an artist and stated that ‘ Artists have always been trying to find a place for themselves’ (Baldacchino, 2013). Be this within an art society, a group, or simply a place to work, to create. Discussion with the groups at the seminar in GOMA in February attempted to find out exactly what that meant. There were many answers, ideas and suggestions but importantly for an artist it is about establishing one’s own practice and finding a comfort zone within which to work and be creative. For me this comfort zone is both internal and external. I work to express myself at the moment but have not found a ‘style’ nor do I seek to. I am enjoying re-visiting my practice, an opportunity which being part of the Med Artist/ Teacher Programme has offered me.