Task 1: Buachaille Etive Mor: Detail: Autumn Landscape

As part of the Med. Artist Teacher programme I am required to regularly submit work for discussion between my peers and course tutor, through a discussion board or Voicethread. For task one,  I revisited a painting which I had completed several years ago as it contained a particular area of interest, a small tree, sprawling into the surrounding, undulating landscape. I photographed the area and manipulated it using Adobe Photoshop CS2. I enhanced the contrast and feel this added atmosphere and mood to the painting. The second image is the detail of BEM, painted using oil paint then acrylics as they dry faster and I wanted to work quickly, retaining true colour instead of colour mixing and blending . The painting evolved and changed in terms of colour and I am pleased that I was drawn back to this painting as it has provided me with a starting point. I experimented with composition by moving the painting around and this changed the way the painting looked, sometimes appearing more figurative. I even completed a small pencil sketch, intended for my sketchbook. The final painting is rich in colour, moody and atmospheric. It was not my intention to make the painting so but it evolved as the painting/ creative process took over. At times, whilst painting the abstract landscape I was fearful of the next brush stroke, addition of colour, wondering would it change the image completely and be irreversible?  I now understood the pressure put upon art students when producing work for SQA and NAB deadlines.