Observational drawing

Included are primary source, observational sketches, which have been used with various classes from S1 to S5/6. The Visual Elements of line, tone, colour are the focus and initially I demonstrate the use of a soft sketching pencil, then coloured pencil with colour mixing and blending and felt tip pens to produce a pointilist technique. The theme is Still Life, The Kitchen Table. I feel it has been beneficial for pupils to see at first hand my work and have technique explained. Already I can see pupils approaching their work in a different manner and achieving better results due to visual reference material. Pupils seem surprised that I have produced the work, that I am ‘The Artist’ and various comments have been quite amusing. As part of the Masters Artists Teacher programme I am encouraged to keep an on-line reflective sketchbook/journal and this Blog will become the forum for that. As a result of this I have encouraged my S5/6 to keep a sketchbook to record their thoughts, ideas and reflections. The new arrangements for National Qualifications 3,4,5 suggest the recording of ideas in a sketchbook and this is a trial before the new Nationals are implemented in 2013. Examples of students working within a sketchbook  are included.