A1/P1 Outdoor Learning – Earthworms.

Good Afternoon guys.

Now I know how much my little class love to play with worms…………..yuck! I thought we could do some investigations to help us learn a bit more about our wiggly friends.  Relax and listen to the story I have linked below and then we can go ‘undercover’ and learn all about Mr Worm!

In the story Grandma and the boy conduct several investigations that we could do too!

•  Have a look in your garden under your garden toys or furniture. Or if you don’t have a garden when you are out for your daily exercise have a look out for leaves that have been pulled into holes in the ground, our wiggly friends may be hiding here.
  • Try to get an earthworm to come to the surface by pouring some water on a patch of ground, this may take a little while.
  • Once you see a worm have a good look at it. How do you know which end is the head? Usually a worm moves forward so its head would be at the front. The head is also more pointed.
  • The earthworm is made of ring like segments, can you count them?
  • If you feel like it place the earthworm in you hand, is it cold, is it slimy?
  • Can you feel the little segments as the earthworm moves each segment has little hairlike bristles on them, these are called Setae.

Please remember if you touch the worms be GENTLE and ALWAYS WASH YOUR HANDS!!

Have fun

Maisie.