Today Jennifer helped us to pickle some of our beetroot. First we had to harvest the last ones from the Polycrub and then she showed us that we must leave some stalk and some root on them before they are boiled or all the juice will come out in the boiling water. We washed most of the soil off. Laura watched them for us whilst they boiled and then we had to leave them to cool.
In the afternoon we had to take off the roots and stalks and peel them, then we had to slice the beetroot into thin slices – that was quite tricky. We mixed sugar and vinegar together and then Laura put it on the stove for us so the sugar dissolved in the hot vinegar. We put the slices into 2 jars and then poured the vinegar and sugar liquid over them.
We learned that pickling is a good way to preserve vegetables,