Relay for Life, Shetland

On Saturday I went to the Shetland Relay for Life at the Clickimen. I was in a team called The Sella Ness Superstars! It’s called that because the team was made up of people who worked in Sella Ness. The Relay for Life is held in the Clickimen running track.  Relay for Life is about raising money for cancer and helping cancer awareness. It goes on between 20:00 to 8:00 the next morning so it goes on through the night. The candle bag ceremony happens at 22:00 and the bags are litten all night. If a candle goes out then you light it again to show that they live on.

At the beginning the survivors lead the relay to start. The youngest survivor of cancer gets to cut the ribbon. Each team gets a number to follow the survivors and our team was number 2! So we were very near the front! There was about 160 teams’ altogether! When everyone had started walking our team just kept on walking for an hour till our team split up into groups so we each had an hour later! Me and Shannon walked to Tesco’s and got some Hoola Hoops and a sweetie! We got a lift back by Kaye in the car. After words we went walked a bit on the track for half an hour and went and had a walk around in the tents. We both bought a spiky jelly feeling necklace except mine was in green and hers was clear. There was a big white board on the outside of a tent that played the names of the survivors of cancer and the ones who lost their life to cancer. We sat and watched until it was over.

Me and Mam hour for walking was between 00:00 and 1:00 and it seemed to go on forever but since my legs were in walking mode I walked an extra half an hour! After we had walked, we went and got something to eat at one of the stalls! I had a cup of tea and a fancie. I went to our tent afterwords and had a peerie sleep till 6:30 in the morning. I told mam to get me up that early so we could do the last hour. The man started to count down at the last minute and everyone cheered when it was over! The man on the speaker told us to all gather around the tent for some of the thanks of the night. He thanked the sponsors and all of us. Me and mam went to Tesco’s after that and went back to the ferry!

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2012/05/27/sun-kissed-relay-for-life-on-course-to-break-records-once-more

The link to the Shetland times website!