Skye Performance

On Tuesday we went to Portree High School to show everyone our Crofting Connections video. We got our seats and sat for a peerie while then the first people came on and they sung a song in Gaelic. A lot more Gaelic singers and  instrument players came on then there was a poem. Then came Orkney and they read some poems, sung some songs  and played the fiddle. Pupils from Shetland came on and first came Brae High School. They played Dreamers Waltz, Aly’s Waltz, Jack Broke the Prison Door, Donald Blue and Sleep Sound in the Morning. Nigh Noness and Ship Wreck  were read by Peter. Why we Love Shetland was a presentation by Urafirth Primary School. Eence Apon a Time was a poem by Whalsay JHS. Baltasound JHS sang Whaur da Green Girse Grows. We played our video about our cereals that we made on the ipad and it was on the biggest screen you could imagine. :). Cullivoe had a poster about making kishies and they talked about it. All of the Shetland schools sung Farewell to Yell but the projector was in my eyes. At the very end, musicians from The Uists and Shetland played a song and it was really good and quite fast.

I really enjoyed eating dinner at Portree High School with the Uist and Shetland musicians jamming behind me and the whole performance itself was so fun because the music was really good.

1. Skye was a great experience! We are on 2 weeks holiday now so we can catch up with some sleep.
    Up Helly Aa in Lerwick is in January. They burn a boat in Cullivoe (North Yell) at their Up Helly Aa in February. Burravoe has a tar barrel procession which comes between Christmas and New Year – we’ll do our best for that!

2. Hello,
    You guys are always doing so much! Your school experience is really wonderful. Scotland and England are now out of the rugby and it doesn’t feel so good. I wonder if you are going to do some of your excellent youblisher work this year?

When do we getround to the burning of the Viking boat? I’d love to see a video and report on that!

Best wishes
    Mr E