Science results for our sound test

We were set a task to see how sound travels over distance. What we did was one of us stood at the main door holding a buzzer and the other one of us walked back every metre with the decibel measurer. We stuck sticky notes at the end of each metre and wrote what the number of decibels was measured there. The highest the decibel measurer could go was a hundred and the lowest it could go was fifty. At the beginning which was 1 metre away from the buzzer the decibels measured seventy decibels.When we got to the fire exit (which was fifteen metres away from the buzzer) the decibel measurer measured fifty decibels. Our science experiment worked! We found that the further away we got the quieter the sound seamed to us.

Next time we will try to remember not to walk to loud.

1. That’s a great challenge which Mr Eldridge has set you; i think you should visit his school blog to tell him how you got on with it!

2. I smiled when I read about this piece of science work. I love teaching science, but now I am Headteacher I don’t do it as often as I should. The ‘cough’ would have happened to me!
    I offer you a question in return. Why is it that when a lemon is put in a bowl of water and you try to balance any coin on it, it always falls in the water?

My school is Hawes in Wensleydale, North Yorkshire. If you want to visit our blog we are at
    http://www.hawesps.posterous.com

Mr E