Bikeability

You don’t have to be a great cyclist. Enthusiasm, confidence and a desire to help the pupils improve and enjoy the sessions is key.

What is Bikeability?

“Bikeability Scotland is a cycle training scheme designed to give children the skills and confidence they need both to cycle safely on the roads, and to encourage them to carry on cycling into adulthood.”

You can find out more about it here: bikeabilityscotland.org

How can I get my child involved?

We are lucky enough to have parent volunteers to help us deliver Bikeability Level 1 (playground) training for P5 and Level 2 (on-road) training to P6.

Just let your child’s class teacher know that you wish your child to take part.

Being a Cycle Training Assistant

If you are interested in assisting or volunteering in this capacity, please contact the school.

Here’s what James Edwards, parent of the school,  has to say about volunteering:

“I got involved several years ago when the school put out a trawl for parents who could attend the 1 day CTA course and then support Bikeability sessions. I am a keen cyclist and wanted to ensure that Bikeability would be available to children at Grammar Primary in the years to come. I also enjoy sharing my love of cycling and supporting pupils to gain greater proficiency.

Since that point I have gained experience shadowing and then leading the sessions. It has been fantastic to see the pupils come on through the basic (and fun) handling skills sessions of Level 1 to capably cycling on the road. Most children are able to cycle to some degree when they start but not always. Sometimes there have been those who couldn’t cycle at all before Level 1 who have moved through to a proficient level of skill on the road.”