New from RAiSE – Simple STEM Resources support videos

We don’t need expensive, fancy resources to deliver rich and engaging science and STEM learning!   

Check out these great short videos made by the RAiSE Primary Science Dvelopments Officers across Scotland, that show you lots of different STEM activities you can do with inexpensive resources that are probably in your store cupboard right now!

Simple STEM Resources Videos from RAiSE

Outdoor Primary Science Resource from NAC 🔎🍃🐞

There are only a couple of days left until schools stop for summer, but with this great weather there is no better time that to encourage some STEM curiosity in the outdoors!

This is absolutely fantastic resource developed by the wonderful STEM team in North Ayrshire Council to support teachers , the NAC Early Level Outdoor Science Resource is beautifully put together with loads of high quality acitvities and links to support teachers with outdoor science.

Although this is branded for Early level, with a little bit of tweaking this resource is perfect for First and even Second level too – have a look!  Access here using this link or you can find it on Education Scotland’s STEM Nation glow blog.

More fantastic RAiSE resources now added! 🤩

You may have already checked out the RAiSE Science Planning Resource – a great tool to support  teachers in planning for science around the experiences and outcomes from early to second level.

The RAiSE network have also created a similar resource to support teachers with Technologies – this Technologies Planning Resource is such a great document for anyone feeling less than confident with teaching any aspect of the Technologies Experiences & Outcomes!

You can find these documents here in the Resources section of this glow blog or visit the Education Scotland STEM Nation glow blog for loads more resources and STEM support!

RAiSE-ing  Renfrewshire!

Kirsty Johnson, @STEM_Ren

“As we begin term 2 of this 2022/23 session, I am in complete disbelief that we are here already, however, I am also amazed at the magnitude and the breadth of STEM learning that has taken place in our Renfrewshire primaries over the first term!

“I always enjoy getting into schools, and last term I’ve had a great time doing some team teaching, making STEM links for Maths Week Scotland as well as looking at STEM spaces and sharing resources. Such a huge variety of opportunities here in Renfrewshire, it’s been incredible.

“Here are some key highlights from this term:

• The first STEM Champions’ meeting of the new school year. More than three quarters of our schools have a named teacher with STEM responsibility. This event was a great chance to share what they’re doing in their settings. Great teacher leadership!
  • In response to needs highlighted in last year’s RAiSE baseline survey, I have put into place a full calendar of STEM related CLPL for this year. In term 1 this included a session with Education Scotland IGBE team, one focussed on planning, teaching, and assessment, and also a session on light and sound.
  • Renfrewshire has two clusters in this year’s SSERC Primary Cluster Programme and I have enjoyed working with the schools from Castlehead and St Benedict’s clusters to support them with their exciting plans for developing science learning and teaching. It was great to get to know these committed teachers better at two residentials at SSERC in Dunfermline.
  • Working with external STEM partners is a rewarding aspect of my job and I was delighted to be asked to co-present on a national webinar with the Scottish Book Trust, talking about the STEM resources that I produced with RAiSE for this year’s Read, Write Count bookbags that can be found here https://www.scottishbooktrust.com/learning-resources/read-write-count-stem
  • Renfrewshire was selected by YESC to take part in their Code Versus Climate project, funded by Digital Xtra. We had eight schools attend a great CLPL session from YESC at Arkleston learning hub. This a great project for developing coding and engineering skills whilst developing awareness of sustainability, I can’t wait to see what these schools create.
  • This term I have been working beyond our primaries and making links with our Early Years and Secondaries too! It was so lovely to visit Glendee ELCC who are well on their way to achieving their STEM Nation Award. It was inspiring to talk to their practitioners who are so dedicated to providing science and STEM learning experiences for their young learners and to share with them some of the things that our primaries are doing and some ideas for family learning.
  • I have also been working with secondaries, letting them know about a number of opportunities with GSC including Powering the Future, Newton Flight Academy and David Elder Lecture.

“And here is what I’m looking forward for term 2:

• “I have just taken delivery of four funded class kits for schools to take part in First Lego League explore and I am looking forward to supporting schools with this fun coding project!
  • We have more Renfrewshire primary teachers being trained as Young STEM Leader Programme Tutor Assessors, meaning the learners in their school can themselves become a YSL and develop their STEM leadership and pupils voice with their peers.
  • A CLPL session with our Classroom Assistants about how they can support our learners with Primary Science and STEM and there are there are more science CPD sessions planned for our teachers, including STEM with Stories, running STEM challenges, STEM Enquiry  and the RSC Chemical Changes workshops. For more details or to sign up, click here for Renfrewshire CPD Manager
  • We will continue developing DYW offers and continuing to support increased partnership working with West College Scotland and Social Enterprise Academy.
  • RHET Renfrewshire farm visits and workshops – better look out the wellies!

“Before we know it, it will be Christmas! Thank you to everyone who has engaged with such openness about developing STEM in Renfrewshire. It has been a pleasure of a term and there is so much potential for us to continue working together to improve the experiences for our young people.”