Primary 3/4’s Bookweek Scotland

Last week saw P3/4 have lots fun and exciting opportunities to experience reading. We had many different visitors in to see us and some even went out into the community to experience reading.

Our week started with a visit from Miss Cunningham from Cochrane Castle Primary, who chose to read one of her favourite books to us, ‘The Owl who is Afraid of the Dark’.

On Tuesday, we received a special visit from our School Education Manager, Miss Thomas. She brought in a book that was very special to her son when he was in primary three and four, called ‘Katie Morag and the Big Boy Cousins’. Miss Thomas also brought in a special device called a Kindle. She told us about all the books she had on it and how when on holiday, she loves to get lost reading a book and imaging all the different scenes.

Thursday saw a very special visitor, in the form of Provost of Renfrewshire, Lorraine Cameron. Provost Cameron came to visit Primary three’s to give them  a ‘Read, Write, Count Book Bag’. Whilst the Provost was here, she read one of the stories to the class, it was called ‘You’re Called what?’ The story was all about real-life animals with very strange sounding names.

As a very special treat, the Provost let those of us that wanted too, try on her official chain of office.

Primary 4’s joined Miss McCann’s class and walked to Starbucks, they were read a book by the Manager. They also got a treat of some hot chocolate.

Friday saw our class get two visitors. Firstly the house captains of Cochrane Castle came and read a story to the class.

Our Final visitor of the week was Katrina McGovern, the School’s Barnardo’s PAThS Co-ordinator. Katrina brought in a book that was very special to her, ‘The Velveteen Rabbit’, she even brought in a toy rabbit! Everyone loved the story!

Book week was great and all the class thoroughly enjoyed it, and this can be summed up in a quote by one of our class members.

“Books are so important, they don’t just help my reading. It helps my spelling, my imagination, my writing  and how I understand things. Reading is great!”