P7 Buddhism Beliefs & Practices

b4

Learning Outcome: I can show understanding of the beliefs and practices of Buddhism and explore the similarities and differences between these and my developing beliefs. RME 2-04c

Skill for Learning: Synthesis – I can research about a belief or practice of Buddhism and explain it to my peers.

Social Skill: Disagreeing without criticising people – I can show/explain my feelings about someone’s idea/opinion without offending them.

Background

Buddhists believe that the Buddha saw the truth of what the world is like, and they follow his teachings. They have many beliefs and practices they follow in order to live their lives in a Buddhist way.

Task

In your group, you are going to research the key Buddhist beliefs, how they worship and live their lives. You will be researching one of the following beliefs or practices:

• the 3 Jewels (Triple Gem)
  • the Four Noble Truths
  • the Eightfold Path
  • the 5 Precepts
  • their sacred text
  • how and where they worship (Puja)

You will learn as much as you can about your given subject and present your findings to the rest of the class in an imaginative way. Remember that they do not know anything about your topic, so your presentation should be informative as well as entertaining.

Presentation Criteria

Your presentation should:

• include key points about your subject
  • inform the class about your subject
  • involve everyone in your group
  • be creative
  • be informative
  • entertain your peers
  • mention how Buddhist beliefs compare to the beliefs of the people on your group
  • be 3-4 minutes in length

Please use the weblinks and video below to find out as much as you can about your given subject.

Please watch the relevant video below:

Triple Gem (no need for sound)

Four Noble Truths (headphones needed)

The Eightfold Path (headphones needed)

The Five Precepts (use headphones if there are any spare)

Buddhist Worship (headphones are needed)