P7 Book Detectives – Illuminator & Mind Map

Today I modelled how to complete a P7 standard ‘Illuminator’ and ‘Mind Map’ for your Book Detectives homework. You found examples from the book for me to use in my tasks which I recorded on the board for you to copy into your BD jotters. Please remember each time you complete your BD tasks to write the date in the margin (19.8.16) and write an appropriate title (Holes Ch1-6). Each BD tasks should use approximately one A4 page.

Here is a reminder of how to complete each job:

Illuminator

• you should record at least six feelings
  • you should record the character’s name
  • you should record the page number you got the evidence from
  • you should record any quotes to help support your answer
  • you should respond with how you feel about the situation (put yourself in the character’s shoes)

Example:

Stanley – p6 – worried/scared – ‘Stanley and his family had tried to pretend that he was just going away to camp for a while, just like rich kids do.’ He was blocking out his negative feelings about going to camp as a punishment by pretending it was going to be like a holiday. I understand why he would do this because the thought of leaving your family to go to an unknown place would be scary. I would probably do the same thing.

Mind Map

• choose 4-5 main events from the chapters you have read
  • use branches from these events to add detail, evidence, page numbers to support your answer
  • turn your BD jotter landscape

Example (click on the image to enlarge it):

mind map example