Ukraine child killed trying to escape

Elisei Ryabukon was thirteen years old when the fighting had first started, him and his family were stuck in Peremoha until Russian soldiers had given them permission to leave in March. Elisei was then shot dead by the Russian soldiers whilst trying to escape Ukraine.

“On 11 March, the Russians gave us permission to leave. They even waved us goodbye and wished us luck. Then when we were crossing a field, they started firing at us from every direction”.

There were five cars all together evacuating, Elisei was escaping in the second car with a few other people, no one in Elisei’s car had survived.

“I crawled through the field and saved my three-year-old son by dragging him by the hood of his jacket. The fact that any of us made it out alive was pure luck”.

Inna Ryabukon says that her remaining child is “the only reason she’s able to carry on.”

Elisei is one of 200 child victims in Ukraine: 186 children at least have been confirmed dead and killed during the fighting. Ohmatdyt hospital has had dozens of children who have been injured.

Inna wants Justice for what the Russians have done and has filed a complaint to the police.

She says, “I want the world to know about the crimes of Russia. I want every victim to be counted. I want Russia to be held accountable for the people, children, and women, they have killed on our land”.

Report by Esme, based on research and interviews by Yogita Limaye, BBC News, 19th April 2022.