Coronavirus vaccinations rolled out across Orkney 

By Lucy K

As the coronavirus pandemic continues, there is a chance things will return to normal soon. The vaccines are meeting their targets and Orkney is ahead of the rest of the United Kingdom, offering vaccines to all people over the age of 34. The number of cases in Orkney remains at 74 and the total deaths is 3.

Many people have been affected by the pandemic with one in eight adults (12.9%) developing moderate to severe depression and children suffering with not being able to socialize and see their friends. Now many pupils have started to return to school. 

People’s jobs have been affected by the pandemic. My dad who is self-employed and is in the fire service “My work was affected because the demand (for scallops) has decreased because of lockdown. The way we work at the fire station has also changed due to covid-19 restrictions.”   

My mum said, “I have got to spend more time with my family in my household, but I have not been able to see my mum and my sister.”

In Orkney they have given out different types of the vaccine. My dad who got the AstraZeneca vaccine on the 18th of February said he had an achy arm for the rest of the day. My mum got the Pfizer vaccine on the 21st of March and she said she had a sore arm which felt heavy and was tired. Many people are reacting differently to the vaccine some are unaffected, but some have been throwing up and not been very well. 

Lots of people have different opinions on the vaccine. Some people have said that they trust the vaccine because it is a tried and tested process which has been used to create other vaccines. Others also trust the doctors and scientists who are help keeping people safe.

Others who disagree with the vaccine have come up with many different conspiracy theories but a lot of people who refuse to get vaccinated say that not enough testing has been done and they think it was rushed through.  

The NHS website reassures people that “the vaccines approved for use in the UK have met strict standards of safety, quality and effectiveness set out by the independent Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).”

“Any coronavirus vaccine that is approved must go through all the clinical trials and safety checks all other licensed medicines go through. The MHRA follows international standards of safety.”

If I am offered the vaccine I will definitely accept the offer and go get it because I think, by getting the vaccine, I would be helping others and helping stop this pandemic.